1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-P2 IBIS Noise?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hellomrmoon, Jul 12, 2012.

1. hellomrmoon

hellomrmoon Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    California
    I gave my girlfriend my E-P2 with a CCTV lens attached for a trip to Alaska to use. She was using it last night when I noticed the camera made an audible noise when she released the shutter. It sounded as if the IBIS was jerking inside the body. If I recall correctly the shutter speed was around 1" and the IBIS sounded strangely loud, I never recalled hearing the IBIS like that, but I also haven't shot anything with that shutter speed either.

Body was set to IS1 and I messed around with different shutter speeds, anything in the neighborhood of 1"-3" produced the noise and anything faster or slower did not. Same thing with IS2 and IS3, but a few times the IBIS would not make such a noise with IS3 with those shutter speeds. Every time I released the shutter the body was resting on a table so there was theoretically no need for the IBIS to move much to produce such a noise.

Granted I don't really remember ever shooting anything with those speeds, it sounded strange to me when I heard it last night, but is this typical of the IBIS, or is something wrong?

I have my E-M5 updating firmware so I can see if it does the same once it finishes, but then again the IBIS is different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.