E-P2 IBIS Noise?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hellomrmoon, Jul 12, 2012.

1. hellomrmoon

hellomrmoon Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2011
    I gave my girlfriend my E-P2 with a CCTV lens attached for a trip to Alaska to use. She was using it last night when I noticed the camera made an audible noise when she released the shutter. It sounded as if the IBIS was jerking inside the body. If I recall correctly the shutter speed was around 1" and the IBIS sounded strangely loud, I never recalled hearing the IBIS like that, but I also haven't shot anything with that shutter speed either.

Body was set to IS1 and I messed around with different shutter speeds, anything in the neighborhood of 1"-3" produced the noise and anything faster or slower did not. Same thing with IS2 and IS3, but a few times the IBIS would not make such a noise with IS3 with those shutter speeds. Every time I released the shutter the body was resting on a table so there was theoretically no need for the IBIS to move much to produce such a noise.

Granted I don't really remember ever shooting anything with those speeds, it sounded strange to me when I heard it last night, but is this typical of the IBIS, or is something wrong?

I have my E-M5 updating firmware so I can see if it does the same once it finishes, but then again the IBIS is different.