1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P2 + Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake lens... portraits.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian Mosley, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Hello everyone,

I promised to get my Hexanon 40mm f1.8 pancake lens out to try with the E-P2.

One of the images is in my PAD project for today.

I also persuaded my youngest daughter to pull away from her book for a moment to show me her eyes... unfortunately, I was fiddling around with the viewfinder too much and she will only give me a second or two :eek:

This explains the staring eyes and the overly tilting head - she's having fun with the clumsy photographer... I need more practice :rofl:

Anyhow, just to say the 40mm f1.8 is one of the most common Hexanon lenses, and should be one of the cheapest - yet amazingly sharp and very compact.

E-P2 + Hexanon 40mm f1.8
    1/80s f/2.8 iso200
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 6
  2. hcarlen

hcarlen New to Mu-43

Jan 23, 2010
    lovely portrait

You wouldn´t by any chance have a pic of the setup? I was thinking of getting the nocton 40/1,2, very compact and sharp, but a little pricey...

3. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi hcarlen, and welcome to the forum. :friends:

I don't have a shot of the 40mm attached to the E-P2 yet, but here it is attached to my Olympus E-400 :

I have a gallery of example captures with this lens here.

Hope that helps, the Hexanon 40mm f1.8 should be relatively easy and cheap to find.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  4. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    Brian, great portrait.

5. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks chalkdust, 40mm @f2.8 makes a great option for head and shoulder portraits with nice soft out of focus backgrounds.

I'll keep it on and try some more.

Cheers

Brian

6. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Nice one Brian

I am getting tempted to get something like this for portraits, where do you look for one, and what type of adapter would I need for the EP2

Thanks Phil

7. McDuff

McDuff New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2010
    konica

If anyone is in the Denver area there is a hexanon 57mm f1.4 lens on Craig's list. I don't know alot about lenses but saw a few people on this forum talking of this one. $20

8. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    seems like a very good lens... Nice and sharp...

9. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    There are two different Konica SLR lens mounts. This is the later one, called AR. It's almost inconceivable that anybody would bring out an adapter for the earlier mount, which I think is called F. (I say "almost" rather than "completely" because unimaginable lens matings are already happening. But really, adapters for the older Konica mount won't come till we also have adapters for Petri lenses, Miranda lenses, Foca lenses, Opema lenses....) Get an adapter at Ebay; just look for "konica" and "micro four thirds".

You might get the lens from keh.com or collectiblecameras.com. Don't overlook listings for cameras, because this was among the options for a "standard" lens.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Depending on the condition, that could be a bargain!

Cheers

Brian

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Konica also made some great rangefinder (Leica M fit) to go with their Hexar RF.

I was lucky enough to have owned one of the Hexar RF kits that came with the superb Hexanon 50mm lens, flash unit etc - had a few issues with the body that Sony (who bought the company) attempted to sort so ended up trading it in towards my M8.

The lenses they made were really solid performers and made to a very high standard but not sure how easy they are to track down now - got to be a lot cheaper than Leica and Voigtlander though.

Ian

12. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Decades ago, Konishiroku, as it then was, made some great LTM (screwmount) lenses for Chiyotaxes, Leotaxes, and even Leicas. (See here.) Much more recently, Konica, as it had by then become, made some great LTM lenses for the same. (See here.) Still later, Konica made the M-mount lenses you have in mind ... and perhaps also one or two you haven't heard of. The last time I looked, all these lenses cost a fair amount more than did the near-equivalent Cosina "Voigtländer" lenses. Actually the old Konishiroku lenses (like the old Fuji LTM lenses) cost more than did the near-equivalent Leitz lenses of the time.

Any of the lenses above might cost you more than the price of an old Konica RF camera (this part is cheap), plus a conversion by Mr Miyazaki via Japan Exposures.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    I just won an auction on eBay for the
    40 1.8 AR. I paid $38.00 USD in mint condition.
    What adapter do I need?
    Kind regards...
    Shooter

14. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
  15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian,
    Thanks for the advice. I bought an adapter to m4/3 for $49.00 from NY.
    should be nice and the price fo an 80 1.8...
    Unbelievable! it should be nice on the G1.

Please don't post any more images like ya did...I get in trouble cause I have no resistance.

16. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Just stay away from my PAD blog then :wink:

Cheers

Brian

17. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    How do ya think I got in trouble?

18. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Don,

I think you'll really enjoy the Hex 40mm. I credit Brian for introducing me to the Hexanon lenses last summer. Really good value. I have the 57 1.4, the 40, the 135 f3.2 and the 200 f4. The last is for sale - don't use it as much as I thought I would, compared to the 135.

Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  19. jojo130130

jojo130130 New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2010
    I find the 40mm to be a little soft wide open and lacking contrast, but sharp @ 2.8. One major annoyance I have is that the aperture cannot be set to at f2.2 (or anything in between 1.8 & 2.8) but I guess the size makes up for it!

20. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    I missed snafooing a very good example of that lens on eBay last night while outside... taking pictures of course. Really miffed.

Bokeh Diem