1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-P2 Help

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by edb, Jul 17, 2010.

1. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    I've only had my E-P2 for a few days but I'm ready to send it back to Adorama.

There are many things about the camera that I like but I'm getting some terrible skin tones when I take a portrait type picture. Faces are too red.

I have the 17mm 2.8 lens.

I've adjusted my saturation to -1 but that doesn't help.

Colors on normal outdoor snapshots are also oversaturated but not too bad; however most pictures border on being underexposed.

I'm also getting noise, at ISO 200, in dark areas of the pictures.

Some of the noise and the terrible red skin tones may be caused by the camera not properly exposing/metering the shot.

Then again, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It would help if you could post a photo or two with the exif intact.

Shooter

3. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Yes, you're right, I need to post a couple of pictures.

Right now everything on my computer has been post processed and has had noise reduction done on them.

I'll take a couple of pictures tomorrow and post them with the EXIF data.

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Pay very close attention to the rear dial....
    The EV is an issue for many, myself included...
    Many times I would be working and then realize that I was at like -3.0 or +3.0...
    so maybe that's what happened.
    You have to set the camera up the way you prefer to work. Brian has a few videos on the forum that will help. I doubt that the camera is broke...it's more than likely a setup issue....

I'm in Philly Pa, USA...if your in the colony, I'll give you my phone # and we can talk it thru...
    Don

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    A lot of people/sites have mentioned about noise in dark zones at iso 200, I guess it would depends on how bad it is. Generally speaking, for me, the noise isn't really noticable unless I view it at 100% - even though yes it does exist.

As for exposure/skin tones. My e-p1 does a terrible job also if it's in iAuto mode, if I throw it into SCN->portait mode it actually does a little better (eportrait is for the most part a disaster...). I don't think olympus' colour model was ever that strong for portraits, I seem to recall my e-410 was pretty nasty too. (I think my fuji-f30 did an amazing job of portraits though... maybe unrealistically good actually.) On the other hand, the colour model seems to be really nice and realistic for just about everything else (in my eyes). This is just my opinion of the colour model... if anyone has settings that make portraits / skin tones look realistic - please do share.

6. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    The noises in low ISO are probably due to the Gradation setting (dynamic range) setting. It's probably at 'auto' where the camera will try to blow the darker areas to increase details. Try changing to 'normal' and see the difference.

Oh, when you turn on 'face detection', the gradation is automatically turned to 'auto'.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I had this problem in the beginning and it was related to the iAuto setting - worth a thought.

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Just to add to Don's post about being careful about inadvertently hitting one of the dials, etc, and here is a link to the first of Brian Mosely's very helpful E-P2 Quick Start videos. You'll see that he goes through the whole set up of the camera and then various members ask questions and have made comments, and continue to.

When I first got my E-P2 I didn't even realize I had the white balance set to incandescent.:redface: :eek: It took me a while to get the hang of the camera because, in my case this was my first serious digital camera.

9. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I think I have everything setup right on the camera and I have never used the auto or scene settings so that's not my problem.

I'm going to give the camera a couple more days but if the skin tones aren't better I'll have to send it back.

I can live with some noise (although it's pitiful on a camera with a 4/3 size sensor at ISO 200) but won't be able to accept the red skin tones.

10. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    If you've got everything setup right on the camera, you should be getting pretty good skin tones... maybe you could post (or PM me) an example of the problem you're experiencing?

It's quite frustrating for us, not being able to help - where are you based? I'm in the UK.

Cheers

Brian

11. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two pictures taken with the E-P2 all in the shade.

center weighted and patten.

Both of these pictures are poorly exposed, dull, lifeless and generally not worth keeping.

Any advice would be appreciated.

12. BBW

edb, I'm going to move your thread into Image Works forum because that's the place members help members improve ask and receive help with their photographs.

First thing you need to do is let us know your EXIF information with these photos - what lens, what f stop, what film speed and how you processed them i.e., which software.

13. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Sorry, one of the pictures was posted twice (large size)

So I guess there are only two different shots here.

14. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Okay.

15. BBW

No problem and take your time.

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Whoa there buddy....
    1st off, the photos seem like that of your daughter, so they are definitely worth keeping. Never discount a family photo or so called snap. The value increases more and more as time passes.
    Ok, past that....they just need some punch work in post processing....should be easy enough.

What do you process in?
    What do you shoot, raw, jpeg etc?
    Let's start there....

• Like Like x 1
  17. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    I agree with you. My problem is that most of the pictures I'm getting are poorly exposed.

I really don't think this camera is metering properly.

First picture was center weighted and the second picture was patten. I also took one using spot metering (didn't get it posted) and it turned out about the same.

Sharpness was plus 2 and contrast was plus 1 for both pictures

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.