1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P2 guides?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ritualnet, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Are there any guides around for the E-P2? I've did a google search and came up with a book (David Busch's Olympus PEN EP-2 Guide to Photography), but from the reviews it seems to be a copy/paste job across multiple cameras, and has things like "how to use the inbuilt flash"... which isn't really applicable.

I have the manual but, I remember using Ken Rockwell's guide for my D40 back in the day, and that helped me so much, and was hoping something was available for the E-P2 (or even E-P1!)

(Also, it won't let me search for EP2 as it's too short a string, so if there are guides on here, I couldn't find them)

2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I helped write that book and had (and still have) an E-P2 while writing. You're right, some of it is boilerplate from other books (and I apologize if something inappropriate was left in). In writing my section of the book I did have my E-P2 with me while writing and was checking different controls before writing about them.

I still use my E-P2 btw, although it's now become my backup camera to my Olympus OM-D E-M5 and E-5. My wife loves the E-P2 and will probably use it more than I do. It's a great camera.

Dan

3. digitaldan1

Mar 22, 2010
    Oh. I should add that the reason mistakes like that get made sometimes is because we're caught between trying to produce a solid product and speed in getting the book to market. We don't get early models from Olympus. We have to buy our cameras just like everybody else. In the case of cameras like the E-P2 and E-M5 it means scrambling to get the camera and then get the book written as quickly as possible.

4. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Ah I'm sorry if I was at all negative towards your work. I was going on the reviews on Amazon, and thought this was similar to books I've seen before, where they "find and replace" one camera name with another. I'll have a look and see if it's on Amazon UK.

5. digitaldan1

Mar 22, 2010
    Don't worry about it. Someone who spends the money to buy a user guide certainly has a right to voice their opinion about it. As far as the issue of "find and replace" goes, if a reader doesn't like it, that's certainly their right. As a writer I'm not thrilled either, I enjoy writing. Still, the advice we're giving on basic photography really doesn't change just because we're writing about a different camera. The inverse square law doesn't change just because you've changed cameras.

Mistakes such as leaving the name of another camera in the book, are just that, "mistakes." I'll try harder to make sure I don't let similar mistakes get through.

Good luck with your camera! Hope you find a user guide that works for you!

Dan

6. sadwitch

sadwitch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    sorry for hijacking this thread

Have you encounter available images left display no updating correctly with a class10 card on an EP2? I experienced that with 2 of my class10 cards from different maker that doesn't read the total no of shots available properly.

7. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Seem
    Hopefully I will, I'm going to buy the one you helped to write. Your feedback on this post has convinced me that even if there are errors, you care enough about the subject and reader. Thank you.