E-P2, GF1, or GF2 with EVF

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Wes7, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Hey guys,

I have checked several threads around the forums and have found a lot of great information, but I would like some specific feedback from users who may have work processes similar to mine or have experience with the E-P2, GF1, or GF2 with their appropriate EVFs.

I have been shooting a M4/3 camera, the EP-1, for about six months. I have really enjoyed the E-P1, but the LCD got busted, so it is time for a new body. If I had to pick complaints, it can be difficult to focus with the LCD and the MF assist is a little cumbersome.

I am trying to stay below $600 for a replacement, and thanks to offers from members of the forum or used deals on Amazon, I can easily do that with any of the following combinations:

1. E-P2 + VF-2 or VF-3
    2. GF1 + LVF1
    3. GF2 + 14mm + LVF1

I currently shoot with the Panasonic 20mm, an old Nikon 50mm 1.8, and a Konica 135mm 3.2. I also have the M. Zuiko 14-42mm, but I rarely use it. I would say I shoot the majority of my shots with the 20mm and the 50mm, and manual focus more than half the time. I generally carry the camera in a bag, so size is not a big issue, but I do prefer the aesthetic and handling of the "rangefinder" style bodies, so I am not really considering a G2 or G3. I shoot primarily in M or AP, though my wife frequently uses the camera with the 20mm on iAuto, AP, or SP.

My questions are as follows:

1. If you have any specific feedback relating to the specific camera / VF combinations, I'd love to hear it.
    2. If you are using an LVF1 to manual focus legacy lens, how do you feel about it?
    3. If you are using a GF2, how do you feel about the controls? the GF2 with the 14mm is a great buy, but I am a little worried that I am going to get frustrated with the user interface and wish I had something more tactile.
    4. Do you use the on-body flash? I can't say I have missed having a flash with the E-P1, but I am wondering if having one will add some versatility to the camera.

Of course, any other feedback or recommendations is greatly appreciated! I only have one shot at my decision, as I am living in Lesotho and once the camera gets here, there is no way to return it if I don't like it!

2. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    I recently bought option 1, an EP-2 with a VF-2 finder. So far I have a Panasonic 20mm lens, and a bunch of Pentax glass on an adapter. I'm still waiting for the 45mm, so for now, I shoot mainly with the 20mm, and at times put on a 50mm or 77 Pentax prime (manual focus).

The VF-2 is great to manual focus with because of the high resolution, and paired with a good, sharp lens, the "shimmer" effect is enough to confirm focus, so I don't have to deal with the clunky MF assist feature (which is even harder to operate with the camera held up to your face IMO). I haven't tried the VF-3 so I can't comment on that. I just went for the best so I wouldn't ever have to think "what if?"

Never missed having an on-board flash on the E-P2, I've never used a pop-up flash, and will crank the ISO up or not bother taking photos if it gets too dark. I don't plan to use my M4/3 camera to command any off-camera flashes, so having a flash commander isn't important to me either.