E-P2, GF1, or GF2 with EVF

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Wes7, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Wes7

Wes7 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2011
    Lesotho
    Hey guys,

I have checked several threads around the forums and have found a lot of great information, but I would like some specific feedback from users who may have work processes similar to mine or have experience with the E-P2, GF1, or GF2 with their appropriate EVFs.

I have been shooting a M4/3 camera, the EP-1, for about six months. I have really enjoyed the E-P1, but the LCD got busted, so it is time for a new body. If I had to pick complaints, it can be difficult to focus with the LCD and the MF assist is a little cumbersome.

I am trying to stay below $600 for a replacement, and thanks to offers from members of the forum or used deals on Amazon, I can easily do that with any of the following combinations:

1. E-P2 + VF-2 or VF-3
    2. GF1 + LVF1
    3. GF2 + 14mm + LVF1

I currently shoot with the Panasonic 20mm, an old Nikon 50mm 1.8, and a Konica 135mm 3.2. I also have the M. Zuiko 14-42mm, but I rarely use it. I would say I shoot the majority of my shots with the 20mm and the 50mm, and manual focus more than half the time. I generally carry the camera in a bag, so size is not a big issue, but I do prefer the aesthetic and handling of the "rangefinder" style bodies, so I am not really considering a G2 or G3. I shoot primarily in M or AP, though my wife frequently uses the camera with the 20mm on iAuto, AP, or SP.

My questions are as follows:

1. If you have any specific feedback relating to the specific camera / VF combinations, I'd love to hear it.
    2. If you are using an LVF1 to manual focus legacy lens, how do you feel about it?
    3. If you are using a GF2, how do you feel about the controls? the GF2 with the 14mm is a great buy, but I am a little worried that I am going to get frustrated with the user interface and wish I had something more tactile.
    4. Do you use the on-body flash? I can't say I have missed having a flash with the E-P1, but I am wondering if having one will add some versatility to the camera.

Of course, any other feedback or recommendations is greatly appreciated! I only have one shot at my decision, as I am living in Lesotho and once the camera gets here, there is no way to return it if I don't like it!

-Wes

2. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I recently bought option 1, an EP-2 with a VF-2 finder. So far I have a Panasonic 20mm lens, and a bunch of Pentax glass on an adapter. I'm still waiting for the 45mm, so for now, I shoot mainly with the 20mm, and at times put on a 50mm or 77 Pentax prime (manual focus).

The VF-2 is great to manual focus with because of the high resolution, and paired with a good, sharp lens, the "shimmer" effect is enough to confirm focus, so I don't have to deal with the clunky MF assist feature (which is even harder to operate with the camera held up to your face IMO). I haven't tried the VF-3 so I can't comment on that. I just went for the best so I wouldn't ever have to think "what if?"

Never missed having an on-board flash on the E-P2, I've never used a pop-up flash, and will crank the ISO up or not bother taking photos if it gets too dark. I don't plan to use my M4/3 camera to command any off-camera flashes, so having a flash commander isn't important to me either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.