E-P2 center focus point size

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mabelsound, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

The one thing I find a little vexing about the E-P2, compared to the GF1, is that the center focus area seems too large--if there is a small object in the foreground I want to focus on, and I center it perfectly, the camera tries to focus on everything behind it. On the GF1 I could adjust the size of the focus area--is there such an option on the E-P2?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I just can't remember if there is a spot focus or not. I hope someone who has an E-P2 will chime in shortly.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    We all want that option.
    I thought that if you hit the info screen a few times and get to the small box, it was a smaller target but Brian explained it wasn't.
    It's an issue I didn't like in my Pen1 and thought it would be fixed in my Pen2 but wasn't.

So, we wait until a shooter works on the firmware instead of engineers.

4. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    Yeah, same here. It bugs me that the focus points are a bunch of boxes. I'm getting used to it though. The only consolation is that the box could be magnified with just a twist of the focus ring (with C-AF MF turned on) to fine tune the focus.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This has been a big issue when I'm trying to take pictures of birds with the 40-150mm. I get as close as I can sometimes to the bird, but its still small in the frame, sometimes smaller than the focus box. It will end up focusing slightly behind or in front of the bird. I usually drop back to manually focus, but then I lose the shot :(

6. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    The focus box can be moved around the frame. I use it mostly with manual focus, with the quick zoom-view for exact focus. I've been zooming-in for manual focus, and just take the shot. Position the box about where I want the point of focus in the composed image.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

The moving part I get...it's the size that irks me...

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I have not had the AF zoom on the camera since the M-Mount adapter came.

This is a great manual focus camera.

Autofocus speed is comparable to My Nikon F3AF.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

I agree--I love manual focus on it. If the next firmware update allows you to assign the fn button to get you directly in and out of magnified view, I will be very happy.

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I agree this is a short fall compared to Pany

I doubt a firmware update could correct it but one never knows

I know Brian Mosely relates user wishes back to Olympus perhaps this one concern that could be fed back to Oly.

11. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Brian has more than likely mentioned this the the OLY folks many, many times.... Brian sees things with the cameras most people don't and reports right away....
    Anyway...hopefully it could be addressed but I don't think it will be...

12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for the pointer here BB - yes, it's an issue I've been championing since the E-P1's release... it got a bit better with the E-P2 and then again with the E-PL1, I'm frustrated that the updates don't find their way fully back through the line.

On the E-P2, you switch to the MF assist screen (hit INFO until it cycles through to the green box) - position the small box where you want fine focusing and this will be used for the focusing patch.

You can hit OK to zoom into the green box, and then use the scroll wheel to switch between 7x and 10x zoom... hit OK again to see the whole screen and position. If you hit INFO to cycle around again, the green focusing box will be reset to the centre position but retain the zoom factor (7x or 10x)

The E-PL1 is more flexible - it will go to 14x zoom, a very small focusing patch.

The E-P1 needs to be zoomed in before focusing, to make the camera use the smaller focusing patch.

I wish we had more input to the firmware development process... but signing up for the Olympus Photo Safari Group will at least give us more leverage over time.

Cheers

Brian

13. mabelsound

mabelsound Guest

Thanks, Brian! I didn't know about the 14x on the E-PL1...that would be a great boon if it made it to the next update.