E-P2 and ISO 200

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by arpoador, May 15, 2010.

1. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Just noticed this sentence on p.46 of the E-P2 manual:

"ISO 200, which gives optimal noise and gradation balance, is recommended for normal use."

Also:

"For a slower shutter speed or when you want to open the aperture, use ISO 100."

As I read this, the native ISO value for the chip is 200, and 100 is - in effect - a built in ND filter.

From the old film days (Kodachrome 25 is better than 64 is better than Ektachrome 200, etc.) I've had the habit of using the lowest ISO I can get away with. As a result, I've been shooting at 100 preferentially. I guess 200 is the best default.

• Like Like x 2
  2. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have the E-P1 which is for all intents and purposes the same.

I belive that ISO200 is the native ISO as it is on many cameras. ISO100 is achieved electronically as far as I am aware. There is no room for an ND filter to cover the sensor and.

From my experience, their is little difference in noise levels or dynamic range in the two. A few review tests have shown that there is a little less dynamic range at ISO100. To my eye, I cannot see any significant difference in noise levels between the two but then I am not obsessed by noise levels.

I shoot ISO200 unless I need longer shutter speeds or need to stop down more. Mostly, I use ISO100 at dawn for seascapes in combination with ND and GND filters. Occassionally when shooting waterfalls etc, again often with ND filters.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is really not much different than many digital slr cameras.

Many of the Nikon cameras have a "real" base ISO of 200 and even if they provide 100 ISO, it is "achieved electronically" and more for functional (example for shooting in bright light or when you want really slow shutter speeds) than reality as far as improved image quality. My Nikon D70's were base 200 ISO as is the D300 and D3 and probably others from their lineup - although my D200 was base 100 ISO. It really isn't a big deal as it isn't like the film days where lower ASA generally always meant better.

So I wouldn't consider that to be a negative of the camera.

--

• Like Like x 2
  4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    iso 200 is base iso , i use iso 100 to cut sensitivity by half when necessary too