E-P2 and 17mm f2.8 question - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Monza76, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Here is my question, when mounted on my E-PL1 the 17mm acts normally but when mounted on the E-P2 it behaves strangely when pointed from a bright to a low light scene.

Here are the details, if the camera is moved quickly from a bright to dark scene (such as from a bright window to a dark corner) the aperture of the lens will audibly click and the LCD display will freeze for a fraction of a second. This does not happen with the 14-42mm nor does it happen with the E-PL1 with either lens (14-42 or the 17). It seems that when the lens changes aperture to adjust to extreme changes in brightness, the camera freezes for that very brief moment. I tried hard to repeat the phenomenon with the E-PL1 but it appears to handle the situation with a faint click from the lens but no frozen display.

I can live with this behaviour if I have to but I need to know if this is normal for an E-P2 and 17mm. Anyone know what I am talking about?

I thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Firstly, it would appear to be normal behaivour unless we both have E-P2s with the same defect :wink:. If I pass my E-P2 across a bright light source the screen view does freeze briefly whereas the E-PL1 retains a constant view. When fitted with famous rattlesnaking PL25/1.4, the E-P2 delivers much less aperture chatter than the E-PL1 and I guess that this is the reason why.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks Nic, that is what I was hoping to hear. Right now I am using the 14-42 on the E-PL1 and the 17 on the E-P2 (which I now carry everywhere with me). Your experience is exactly what I was trying to describe. As a DSLR convert I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of a Live View system.

Thanks for the prompt response.

4. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    My EP2 also does the view finder thing with my adapted lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Okay, so it seems the E-P2 needs that little hiccup to digest extreme changes in brightness. Thanks for the responses I can now use it without wondering if it is faulty.

BTW as a slightly off topic comment, this camera focuses much faster than I expected with only occasional hunting when the contrast is very low. It isn't a speed demon but it is adequate for most of my photography. I still have a very good Pentax kit for action and wildlife.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.