1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P2 and 17mm f2.8 question - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Monza76, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Here is my question, when mounted on my E-PL1 the 17mm acts normally but when mounted on the E-P2 it behaves strangely when pointed from a bright to a low light scene.

Here are the details, if the camera is moved quickly from a bright to dark scene (such as from a bright window to a dark corner) the aperture of the lens will audibly click and the LCD display will freeze for a fraction of a second. This does not happen with the 14-42mm nor does it happen with the E-PL1 with either lens (14-42 or the 17). It seems that when the lens changes aperture to adjust to extreme changes in brightness, the camera freezes for that very brief moment. I tried hard to repeat the phenomenon with the E-PL1 but it appears to handle the situation with a faint click from the lens but no frozen display.

I can live with this behaviour if I have to but I need to know if this is normal for an E-P2 and 17mm. Anyone know what I am talking about?

I thank you for any help you can give me.

2. Firstly, it would appear to be normal behaivour unless we both have E-P2s with the same defect :wink:. If I pass my E-P2 across a bright light source the screen view does freeze briefly whereas the E-PL1 retains a constant view. When fitted with famous rattlesnaking PL25/1.4, the E-P2 delivers much less aperture chatter than the E-PL1 and I guess that this is the reason why.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks Nic, that is what I was hoping to hear. Right now I am using the 14-42 on the E-PL1 and the 17 on the E-P2 (which I now carry everywhere with me). Your experience is exactly what I was trying to describe. As a DSLR convert I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of a Live View system.

Thanks for the prompt response.

4. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    My EP2 also does the view finder thing with my adapted lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    Okay, so it seems the E-P2 needs that little hiccup to digest extreme changes in brightness. Thanks for the responses I can now use it without wondering if it is faulty.

BTW as a slightly off topic comment, this camera focuses much faster than I expected with only occasional hunting when the contrast is very low. It isn't a speed demon but it is adequate for most of my photography. I still have a very good Pentax kit for action and wildlife.

Thanks