E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Apr 25, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I just bought myself a G2 (and like it quite a lot) and I have decided to retire my E-PL1. I have never liked the control setup on it. I have an opportunity to trade it for a mint E-P1 (straight across). I was thinking of throwing my Panasonic 20 on it (or get an Olympus 17 and just leave it attached) and just having it as a walkabout camera.

I know the E-P1 is first generation but from what I can tell there isn't a great deal of differences IQ wise. Also the E-P1 gets dual control wheels and that very sexy metal clad shell. I don't care that it can't use the VF2 and I know what to expect IQ wise...

...whatchathink?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The e-p1 is a sexy camera, with a nice heft in the hand, very smooth curves and good handling. Funnily enough, when I mount the 20, nobody gives me a 2nd look, while with the 17, people stare in awe when they notice the camera. In fact the 20 looks as misplaced as a spare wheel bolted to the hard top of a Porshe 911, but that's okay because I take pictures with the camera and not pictures of the camera.

Having both 20 and 17, I can tell you the 17 is nowhere close to the 20 quality. This said, I like the FOV so I intend to keep it, but this is clearly a budget lens.

I tried an e-pl1 and didn't liked the controls either, I much prefer the e-p1. IQ wise, there's very very little difference between them. The e-pl1 maybe a hair sharper before post processing, but the IBIS is a bit better on the e-p1, bridging the gap with the e-pl1 for any shot taken without a tripod.

Cheers,

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree is a different class of len but I too like the 17 FOV and I plan to keep the 20 on my G2 (and I don't plan on getting a second one). I'm looking for the E-P1 to replace my LX3. I shoot the LX3 WA and it doesn't have a VF. I'd be losing some of the WA but gaining in IQ so I think I could live with the trade. Maybe pop an OVF on the E-P1.

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

4. The E-P1 is perhaps the most flawed of all the m4/3 cameras, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's still a great camera though, it just comes with a healthy dose of "character".

• Like Like x 1
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    With the latest firmware, it's exactly like an e-p2 minus the accessory port, 2 art filters, and AF tracking in video. Otherwise, both cameras handle and performs the same.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I sold my E-P1 a long time ago and as screwed-up it as it was, I miss it dearly. I will get another one when I find a good deal one day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I am sensing a great love for the most diminutive of the PEN cameras. It is as I suspected. Now I just need a lens for it. But how to trade for that one? I need to get creative now.

8. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    Go for the e-p1! I've decided to stick with mine until it dies!

9. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I started with an E-PL1, liked the dedicated video recording button, disliked the lack of remote shutter capability, purchased an E-P1, sold the E-P1, kicked myself in the head, purchased another E-P1, sold the E-PL1, and purchased a G2. Yeah, I know I'm nuts, but aside from the lack of a dedicated video recording button, I like the E-P1 with a Panasonic 20mm married to it. The Panasonic G2 takes care of my dedicated video button addiction.

I think the E-P1 is a really good camera, just make sure to get the latest firmware (v1.4 as of this post).

Vas

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have the same combo...G2 and soon to be E-P1. I can live without the dedicated video button.

11. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    That's how I feel about mine. Lots of love for the "little flawed camera that could".

For me it was also the first camera that let me truly get into photography too so I have emotional love for it. I've had an e-410 before but some how it never let me really get into this the way the e-p1 did.

It's not like they're worth much used now anyways. I think I saw e-p1+14-45 lenses new for about $350 USD for the last few weeks online. You might as well keep it for that cost.

12. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Perfectly put. I love my E-P1 flaws and all. In fact, I don't find many flaws. It does need the aki-akashi covering though.

I tried an NEX-5 and hated it. Played with Samsung NX-10 - left me cold. Panasonic G1 - hurt my hand. GF1 - nothing.

I think I'm going to be selling up my 5D2 and L glass. It just sits in the bag and sulks while the E-P1 gets used every day.

13. I'm so used to the leatherette covering on mine that all uncovered E-P1s look naked to me!

14. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    E-p1 is not perfect. But it will be a collector one day, in my openion. After several months and trying many lenses. Mine carries the vivitar 24mm 2.8 almost all the time for outdoors country walkabout. Again, not perfect, but very versital. It takes time to learn the E-p1. Otherwise it can be very frustrating. Play to its strenths. Don't be temped by the next generation. Learn to love it, and you will be amazed at what it will produce. It is not a fast camera. Slow down and use asa 100. Pretend it is slow film, with no faster option. Use a tripod or other steady rest, with slow shutter speed. I use 2 sec delay to minimize shake. Works great even for hand held. Get one!

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love my EP1 and think it would be a great trade-up from an EPL1. It's got a different feel altogether. It does have it's quirks, but as someone else noted on this thread, I sold mine, then missed it, and bought one back (actually did that twice, until settling into one permanently last summer).

I was just out shooting with my EP1 this morning! (For reference, my three bodies are NEX3, Canon 5D and EP1, and the EP1 is my favorite).

on a side note -- there's something really nice to me about the EP1 shutter sound. I'd like to try the Fuji X100 (if I could afford it), but out of all the cameras I've tried, the EP1 is the most satisfying digital to push the shutter release on.

16. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    I thought the EP-1 was a great deal to get for under 300usd, with kit lens and all and so far I've been pleased by using it. The leather wrap is tempting, but one thing that is holding me back on it is the cover for the hdmi/usb cable

17. The cover over the connector ports is an optional piece. You can apply it which basically prevents you from accessing the ports, or leave it off like below

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/55915417@N08/5410379888/" title="IMG_6125 Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3 by Lucky.penguin, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="IMG_6125 Olympus Pen E-P1 Micro 4/3"></a>

The skin on my (used) E-P1 was pre-applied when I got it, but I would have left the piece off as well if I'd done it myself.

18. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Mine came with the leatherette so I only knew my camera as such - until one day my camera got into an accident and went bouncing across the road. As a result the leatherette had to come off as I did some surgery. When I took the leatherette off... it was like "wow!" I had a whole new camera! one that was completely unfamiliar to me and for a few days I had the excitement of owning a new-to-me camera again. I know, it sounds silly but it was true.

Odd... I always found the e-p1 shutter loud, obnoxious, and clunky. When I had tried an nex-3 in a store, I found that shutter really light and quiet. So much that I first thought it was an electronic shutter. I know a few other people I know commented about loving the sound and feel of my e-p1 shutter... but personally I prefer it didn't happen at all... i.e. electronic shutter with no artificial noise.

19. Does the skin leave any adhesive residue behind when it is removed? If so is it easy to remove?

20. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    it peeled off mostly nicely. Anything that was left was easy to get off using just masking tape, i.e. tape over the residue, pull the tape off, and the sticky stuff comes off the camera and stays on the tape.

• Like Like x 1