E-P1 with legacy lenses - exposure settings?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chromewaves, Jun 14, 2010.

1. chromewaves

chromewaves Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi - I just got my first legacy lens for my E-P1, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, and am still getting the hang of using it. First thing I'm noticing is that when I have the camera on Av, when I stop it down, the image on the LCD darkens - as I'd expect - and the auto-set shutter speed gets incrementally slower, but not nearly enough to compensate for the reduced light hitting the sensor. Unsurprisingly, when I shoot the resulting image is a lot darker even though the exposure compensation reads 0. The exposure appears correct when I shoot wide open. My understanding was that shooting in Av would result in the camera automatically adjusting itself to the manually-set aperture. Is that incorrect? Do I need to shoot in full manual and set the shutter speed myself?

Assistance is appreciated.

2. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    My rough method for this problem

Haven't noticed the variations you describe in detail, but in general, legacy lenses on my E-P1 produce raw files with dynamic range narrower than maximum.

I shoot Aperture priority, and take shots with more and more exposure compensation until image review shows highlight blinking.

That helps some, but I still brighten images and expand their histograms in post-processing (Picture Window Pro).

This one was taken with a Yashica ML 50mm f/1.9 lens. I forget the aperture, but it was done at ISO 800.
    https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4664237023_646a782589_b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.