1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P1 with legacy lenses - exposure settings?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chromewaves, Jun 14, 2010.

1. chromewaves

chromewaves New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi - I just got my first legacy lens for my E-P1, a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4, and am still getting the hang of using it. First thing I'm noticing is that when I have the camera on Av, when I stop it down, the image on the LCD darkens - as I'd expect - and the auto-set shutter speed gets incrementally slower, but not nearly enough to compensate for the reduced light hitting the sensor. Unsurprisingly, when I shoot the resulting image is a lot darker even though the exposure compensation reads 0. The exposure appears correct when I shoot wide open. My understanding was that shooting in Av would result in the camera automatically adjusting itself to the manually-set aperture. Is that incorrect? Do I need to shoot in full manual and set the shutter speed myself?

Assistance is appreciated.

2. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    My rough method for this problem

Haven't noticed the variations you describe in detail, but in general, legacy lenses on my E-P1 produce raw files with dynamic range narrower than maximum.

I shoot Aperture priority, and take shots with more and more exposure compensation until image review shows highlight blinking.

That helps some, but I still brighten images and expand their histograms in post-processing (Picture Window Pro).

This one was taken with a Yashica ML 50mm f/1.9 lens. I forget the aperture, but it was done at ISO 800.
    https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4664237023_646a782589_b.jpg

• Like Like x 1