1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P1; who else prefers the Oly 17mm to the Panny 20mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mosca, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    There's nothing wrong with the Panny 20mm; this isn't about which lens is better, really, but about which one fits which user. I prefer the Oly 17mm. I like the wider aov, and I really, really prefer the smaller size and lighter weight. I'm sure there are going to be situations where I'll want the 20mm and that extra stop, but for now, for me, I think the Oly17 is the hot ticket, not the Panny20.

Who else agrees, the 17mm is the one that fits their style better?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ya got me in there. I love the 20 for low light but my natural FOV is 35mm. So the 17 fits perfect. I also have the finder for it and that really gets me back to my old Leica comfort zone.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's why I bought the 17mm for my Pen 1, as I prefer a wider field of view. It'll make a nice sized knockabout camera, a P&S so to speak. I'll know for sure when it arrives. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

4. sebastel

sebastel Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2010
    not your business
    to me, the 1.7/20mm is too expensive for what it offers, even though i am a dedicated fan of the "format diagonal" normal lens.
    i also dislike focus-by-wire and aperture-by-camera. consequently, my favourite remains the snapshot skopar, closely followed by the 17mm (which comes into the game when extreme compactness is required).

hm.
    i see, my opinion is quite off-topic with regard to the original thread opener ...
    so, please ignore me.

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ive been hearing and seeing such excellence from the 20 1.7 i kinda want one even though i consider it a moderate fast normal in line fov wise with 40-50 mm fast primes for 35mmand as such i think 200 dollars would have been a fair price at 400 its grossly overpriced for what it is a plastic non ois hockey puck with a dime sized front element , but it is an optically excellent hockey puck , ill concede that

for now i get by with my 17 2.8 i like it a lot in spite of it plasticy-ness and cheezy silver paint job:smile:

6. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

the 17mm does the trick for me. I also prefer the 35mm FOV and I like the quality of the pictures it makes. I'm going to shoot with it exclusively (sp?) until I am the master of this lens....:thumbup:

7. nokiamia

nokiamia Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2010
    Malaysia
    i love my 17f/2.8. its small, light and very quiet. the 34mm is extremely versatile. so far, vof is never a problem.

if there's ever a 17f/1.4 --- now, thats perfect.

8. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    It is interesting you would write that; I was thinking the same thing. Every time I've done that in life, decided to take one thing and understand it completely, I have learned far more than I ever thought possible; not just about whatever it was I was learning about, but also about things that connect to what I chose, and to things completely unrelated but that share similar (for lack of a better word) gestalt.

9. Optical Thrombosis

Optical Thrombosis Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    I'm the same, I love the 35mm POV.

Most of this stems from the best film camera I ever owned, the incomparable Konica Hexar. Interestingly the form factor is very similar to PEN/GF1 style cameras, and my PEN E-P1 with the FL14 and 17/2.8 mounted almost perfectly recreates this vibe.

However, the 35mm Hexanon on the good old Hexar was a far superior lens! Frankly nothing could touch it! And it was f2.0 too...

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    So we got a movement going.
    I have a new 35 hex in the original box.
    It was given to me by an old Vet. I like it better than the Cron.
    Because of that and other things, the 17 is my favorite lens.

It's easy to figure out hyperfocal on the 17 also.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

The Hexar AF is my favorite camera of all time hands down, fast, quiet, and an incredible lens. But the EP2/17mm is gradually taking its place in my heart. While the Hexar's lens is in an entirely different league, I do enjoy what I can coax out of the 17mm.... I'm looking forward to what I'll learn in the next 12 months shooting with it....

12. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Could the 20mm f1.7 be one of the best modern lenses ever from a price performance usability user friendly standpoint

no contest - I would sell my 17mm tomorrow - the 20mm would be the last to go

13. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    I totally understand. I have both and justify it like this.
    I could get a similar image from both lenses by moving just a little....but...the perspective changes and that can't happen...soooo, I guess I have to keep both...
    My wife bought that by the way.....

The Hex is a fabulous lens but on the Pens...it's a 70 and I hate that....
    it's my favorite 35mm lens next to my Version 2 Cron. I sent that back to Leica many years ago to have it reground and have the coatings removed, they thought me crazy but the lens records beautifully....on Tri-X.

The 17, here, back to the original thread has a very pleasing representation of 35mm. I think it gets a bad rap next to the 20. It shouldn't cause it's a great lens....
    the size makes the Pen sexi....I know but I'm hitting 61 and things like this are sexi now....

14. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I need to get out more and use the 17mm

but the 20mm ALWAYS steals the show - day - night - inside - outside - up - down - around and about - low light - slow speed - wide open - it can do anything - close up - portraits - panos - etc - etc - I have a few good MF - but the 20mm always beats them for my ability and level of photography - I started with the 14 45 - everyone said get a 20mm - I thought, hell I've got the 14 45 why spend £300 on a 20mm - BUT best purchase I ever made - simple as that

15. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah Bill, it does all those wonderful things except one very important thing to us 35mm seeing folks....no matter what, no matter how,...it ain't a 35mm FOV......

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I love the 34-36mm focal length. I find myself using it quite a bit on the kit zoom, and this range is sharp on the kit zoom.

I find myself not purchasing either prime because I can't afford both, and neither offer exactly what I want.

17. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    If actions speak louder than words... well, I sold my 20mm last week and kept the 17mm.