1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P1 vs E-PL2 Color/mode setting ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So I've been playing with the E-PL2 for about a week now. I have the E-P1 also. I have a few observations and a few questions.

The natural mode on the E-P1 is quite different than the Natural mode on the E-PL2. The E-P1 has a distinct warmer tone to it in just about all shooting. The warmer tone is mostly from enhanced yellows.

I also noticed that in shooting the same high contrast scene that the E-P1 will under expose 1/3 stop compared the E-PL2 with the same settings. I'm finding the E-PL2 with the same settings(natural, contrast, sharpness, and saturation at 0, and gradation set to normal) seems to clip highlights quicker than the E-P1 while showing more shadow detail. Has anyone else noticed this?

In regards to white balance, I feel overall the E-PL2 does a better job, especially in indoor light. The E-P1 will produce results that are almost too warm or yellow.However, I've always loved the colors though from the E-P1 in the sun or in daylight however. The natural setting on the E-PL2 still has a redder cast than say Panasonic color, but doesn't have as much yellow as the E-P1. I also noticed that the natural setting has a touch less contrast than the natural setting on the E-P1. It seems to me that the closest so far that I can get to the "natural" setting in the E-P1 is using the iEnhance mode with the "low" effect. The standard effect seems to be a tad artificial and a little too "punchy".

So after all my ramblings, has anyone who has the E-P1 who has moved up to the newer models or E-PL2 noticed this difference? It seems the iEnhance was added in the E-P2 model. It seems confusing to me to have two cameras in the same family with the same named color mode that produce different results. What seems to be the consensus on what people use for jpeg settings on the E-PL2?

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    So no one has used both? It looks like the ep2 natural setting is exactly like the ep1. Anyone have any thoughts?

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When updated to the latest firmware, the E-P1 and E-P2 are essentially the same camera except one has the additional accessory port. They should both produce the exact same results.

The E-PL2 is a different beast though. It has a super-weak AA filter which lets in more of the natural light and color from the lens. That will change the color and detail seen in the image.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What I am seeing I think is a bit more than that. It appears the metering system is tweaked, the WB system is tweaked, and the jpeg tone curve is tweaked. In mild to low contrast scenes, there isn't much difference except the slightly less yellow cast of the E-PL2. In high contrast scenes, the E-P1 jpegs seem to preserve highlights and retain more shadows than the E-PL2 at the same settings. I'm starting to wonder if Olympus has boosted the in contrast a little.

I suppose from my point of view it doesn't make sense going and changing what the settings mean from camera to camera, but I'm sure Olympus probably felt they needed to change them for the consumer models a bit just to have something different. I know reading the literature that the E-PL2 has an enhanced Trupic engine vs the E-P2/E-P1.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I just heard a bunch of people say the same thing about the AWB being much better in the new cameras than the E-PL2 and older... :)

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm sure its better in the E-P3/PM1/PL3 cameras.

The E-PL2 is actually better in AWB than the E-P1. This seems more of a highlight/shadow issue I'm dealing with. I guess thats half the fun of a new camera, playing with the settings.

7. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    the ep3 does this as well when the auto wb keep warm color is not set to "off"
    at the custom menu - G. perhaps the ep1 has the same setting.