1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-P1 Users please share your experience!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by E-PL1Shooter, May 15, 2010.

1. E-PL1Shooter

E-PL1Shooter Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    I just got a used E-P1 body, but I get "Card Error" message almost everytime after I took it out and insert the card back, I was using Sandisk Ultra II 8Gb, do you guys have the same problems. Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Have you formatted the card?
    You should do that every time after you download to your computer.

3. E-PL1Shooter

Mar 21, 2010
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    Yup, everytime I copy the files always reformat the card, I don't know why this thing happened, I thought I get a bad body, I want to try buy a new card and start all over again. Streetshooter have you had this message before?

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    From the history of the camera you've told me... you may have a messed up camera.

Having said that, where did you get your card? not ebay I hope, a significant number of cards on ebay are fake cards, especially the ones coming from a certain part of the world.

The only time I've seen that message on my camera before was when a card went bad, truely went bad, the manufacturer replaced it under warranty bad.

If you have another sd card, I'd start with trying the other one out. One thing you could do to test it is put the sd card into your computer and copy 8gb worth of files on to it. Make sure all the files copy properly then copy back off the card properly. If that doesn't work, then chances are the card has gone bad or is fake.

if the card seems fine... then you probably have a messed up camera... and probably why you got it under the circumstances you did.

5. E-PL1Shooter

Mar 21, 2010
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    Hi Ted, nice to see you again and thanks for the strap anyway, the card I bought from Henrys Camera, and I have tried with my other cards they're all the same situation, after I took it out and put it back it will be ok, but this is very annoying especially if we are in a hurry. Maybe I got a broken body then.:mad:

6. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Check to see if you can do a firmware update on the body, I doubt that's it but it may help if it's an older version.

Try to take a peak with a flash light or something into the card slot too to make sure it's clean in there in case the previous owner got something stuck in there...

sorry to hear, that's all I can think of for now.

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Take a close look at the screws on the body too, check for indications if the body was previously disassembled or not. If it was, maybe they didn't put it back together tightly and the card is loose or something.

8. E-PL1Shooter

Mar 21, 2010
    Richmond Hill, Ontario
    That's a good idea, I will try this later and check the inside of the card housing. The firmware already updated to 1.4.
    Thanks for your tip.

9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    most errors of that type have to do with connections , its a tight squeeze , but try to clean the contacts , try this , take a cheap card of the lowest size, make sure that it has no photos in case the card is trashed

put a tiny amount of alcohol on the gold contacts and put up and down in the chamber repeatedly from below with the camera the right way up so any drips will fall down use very scan amounts of liquid..... a drop spread across the contacts is alot ......push it up and down repeatedly in the chamber......clean the liquid off and repeat with the card dry until no residue is seen on the contacts

use common sense and use tiny amounts of liquid each time you try this ,im pretty sure this is the problem

i repaired 2 p&s for friends this way with this problem,, a card can hasve detritis on it and inadventantly introduce it into the sd chamber ,and cause the connects to fail , cleaning them restores the contact function

before you go down this road trouble shoot to see if the card is dying try other cards first to see if you can duplicate the error

10. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I have had this issue a few times with sandick cards.
    Never with Lexar and so far not with the class 10 sandick but I'm waiting...

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Are you formatting on the computer or in camera? You should NEVER format memory cards using your computer.

Gordon

12. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    really? that's interesting to know.

hey E-PL1Shooter, are all the sd cards you're testing with sandisk?

I've had 3 types of sd cards so far, kingston, adata, panasonic. The Adata is the one that died by itself after 2 months of usage, the company sent me a new one - which I then promptly sold on ebay because I'd lost faith in using their media after reading that a lot of other people have had similar problems with their class 10 cards. The kingston and Panasonics have worked well so far. (yes I'm aware that sandisk produces most of kingstons cards anyways....)

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Really? Why is that? I always erase the downloaded files after a download (and empty the trash so they're really gone). Never had any problems. Why re-format every time?

-Ray

14. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    this is true, format in camera only

15. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    It's actually okay to format it on a computer but you need to know what you're doing. The different cards use different file system formats. If I recall properly SD uses fat32 where as SDHC uses extended fat or something like that and sdxc uses yet another one.

There's actually a utility to help you with it : Home - SD Association there's the SD Card formatter on the site. It's suppose to sort out the fs type for you.

But yeah, it's probably easier for most people to just format it with the camera. If your camera can't format it because it says "card error", these tools may sometimes help.

I wouldn't say "every time"... but every once in a while is probably good. Roughly when you've taken say the capacity of your card or before that... so if your card holds 400 images max and you've taken 100 photos for the last 4 days... then that might be a good idea.

Allegedly, (not first hand knowledge) sd cards have very similar writing/cleaning algorithm as SSD's. In simple terms, when you have a new formatted card, and you write to it, all the controller has to do is "write" the data. When you erase an image, it just marks that part of the card as "deleted" without actually deleting the image (that's why data recovery people / software can get deleted information back). The problem is, when you write to a previously used location, it now has to (correction) read from it, then write to it, i.e. 2 steps instead of just 1. As a result your card can slow down - similarly to the way SSDs slow down after you've written and deleted a lot of data from it.

The wear algorithm should select unwritten to locations first before reusing a used one, so in theory if you take 1 picture and delete it, and take another right away, it won't go into the "used" location yet.

This of course all depends on the manufacturer of the controller for the card.

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Interesting and helpful - thanks. The first few times I put the files on the card in the trash and then ejected the card, the capacity of the card in the camera was reduced. Even though the camera would find no files on the card, I guess the space from the old files was still somehow filled with their ghost or skeleton or something. Once I put the card back in the card reader and then emptied the trash, the full capacity of the card returned once back in the camera. But you're saying there's still some record of the file on the card and the camera has to do double duty to clear the old out before writing the new? I didn't know that. I suppose, as you say, I won't worry about it every time I take a hundred shots or so, but certainly before any major outing, travel, etc, where I expect to fill or nearly fill a card, I'll format it beforehand to make sure its full capacity is as immediately available as possible.

Thanks again for the explanation,

-Ray

17. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I haven't had this problem but I am using SanDisk Extreme III class 6 cards. These are no longer available in Class 6 but are now class 10.

The SandDisk Extreme II cards are class 4 but that shouldn't matter. I have used class 2 cards and microSD (which I think are approximately class 2).

Sometimes I delete content, sometimes I reformat (probably 1 time in 3). Reformatting in-camera rather than PC is quick in the E-P1. Maybe this helps.

18. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010

yes, when you say you moved the files to the trash (on windows, mac, and linux) it doesn't even bother deleting them at all, it's literally just moving the files into a folder / directory called "trash".

When I say the files aren't deleted on the SD card or hard drive, I mean even after you empty the trash. The files are actually deleted now, but the "bits" on the hard drive or sd card haven't been reset. So if some one manages to actually look at the "bits" they can figure out what data you had on it - up until the point the bits are changed, i.e. over written by new data, or formatted.

This is one of the reasons why you're never suppose to just delete files from a usb stick, or hard drive before selling it / giving it away. You should always do a slow format (not a quick format) or something more severe.

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray,
    When you erase the card, you are really just allowing the camera to write over data that's still on the card.
    When you format...it's a clean card.
    It takes less than 5 seconds to format a card....do it every time you download....
    Trust me, the problem you are avoiding you don't want.....

• Like Like x 1
  20. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I can confirm, formatting is that insanely quick on the E-P1; just as quick as using delete.