E-P1 takes a beating and keeps on keepin' on!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RobWatson, Jun 27, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

So I dropped my E-P1 yesterday (actually it is not mine but belongs to work). My daughters ask to use the camera so I'm swapping off the Nokton 25mm 0.95 to give her the zoom she asked for and while I'm juggling I dropped the camera (instincts must have clenched onto the Nokton).

There is the camera falling with no lens on it onto the dusty trail and me standing there watching ... no real time dilation but that is another story. Standing there feeling like an idiot but consoling myself that at least I didn't drop the lens.

The camera landed pretty hard on the corner near the battery/SD card compartment. Pretty sickening crunching sound on impact. Aside from some minor scatched/gouges the only significant damage is the latch catch broke off. Now the battery/SD card compartment door wont close. Turns out that is a pretty tiny sliver of fairly weak material. Should be easily fixed with a piece of paper clip and some expoy.

As far as I could tell lookslike no dust got inside the camera

I hate straps and I don't regret not having used one despite the fumbling. Usually I just stick the camera into my pants pocket ...