E-P1 redux

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 23, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I ended up picking up an(other) E-P1 (it was originally intended for a friend but they backed out due to finances). The desire to help SRHEdD get his OMD and the narcotic effect of a positive PayPal balance has on ones decision making :eek: ...you get the idea. As it turns out my son is using my GF2 so he's using that when we practice photography. I originally had him using an old Panasonic ZS3 I have but he wanted a "real camera" like mine so I gave him my GF2 to use (red is his favorite color so it was an instant hit). FWIW it really is better having him on the GF2 and me on the GH2 as the controls are so similar making it easier to explain stuff instead of translating everything to point and shoot. So there was an opening for a second body at my house anyway.

In any case, my only real beef with the E-P1 is the "oh so easily turned" lower rear dial. Is there anyway to lock that like you can in the E-P3 or E-PL2? I'd love to have it set up so that the upper dial is aperture (no problem) and the lower dial is locked until I hit the exposure compensation button. As I recall I could never get it to do that but I thought I'd ask some of the E-P1 power users here if they new any way to accomplish that.
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the easy way to fix the e-p1 oh so easily turned dial, is buy a e-pl1.

yuk! yuk! snort!
  3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL...as my dad used to say...that was HEEEELARIOUS ;)

You're right that WOULD solve the dial problem but I'd miss all the lovely quirkiness of the E-P1.
  4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kevin, I don't know whether this will work or not, but a similar fiddly dial on the Canon S90 was legendary for being too easily dislodged. One of the modifications made by many of us involved popping off the rotating dial using a very small screwdriver, then inserting an annular ring of heavy paper between the dial and the body, and finally snapping the dial back on. Don't know if that's doable on the E-P1 but the dials look very similar.

A second fix which was less scary to implement was the installation of a custom raised and fixed outer ring around the rotating element. I believe Lensmate had one for about five bucks. That worked fine; it's still in place on my S90.

Total disclaimer about any of these repairs as pertain to the E-P1!!!
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Those are both terrific ideas...I'll look into those