E-P1 psuedo-peaking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an E-P1 on route (and excited to get it) and I have been thinking about using my MF lenses with it. When I last had an E-P1 I remember thinking that in some ways manually focusing was a bit easier on the rather low resolution LCD than you might think. I use a G2 as well and love the EVF but in some ways the LCD is easier. What happens on the E-P1 as I recall is that when the image is in focus the image on the LCD shimmers. Sometimes I find that method as good or even better than the EVF (especially when my eyes are tired from using the EVF and feeling a bit tired).

Now recently the NEX cameras introduced peaking and it looks very cool but it also reminds me a lot fo the shimmer to focus thing going on with the E-P1. Also, while I think NEX peaking is probably very nice for manual focusing I fid it funny that you see folks acting like manually focusing on m43 is impossible. I have a lot of manually focussed images that say otherwise. I tell you my old Olympus E510 had the tiniest OVF I have ever seen in a DSLR and low resolution or not the LCD is infinitely easier than that. I do like using the EVF (My G2 is a terrific camera for manual focus lenses) but the LCD is very useable as well.
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    your E-P1 should be there soon. I'm not shimmering is the right word, but I definitely "saw" something on the LCD on the E-P1 that I DON'T see on my Panasonics. It's like an edge "pops" into focus or something. Considering it's all visual and not electronic...it's a cool effect (and very real). I could manually focus old glass under normal outdoor light....that was the main reason I kept it for so long. Show us some photos you take when it arrives...it'll ease my sellers' remorse.
  3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I don't always do perfect on manual focus with the LCD, but I'm not sure I would do any better with the EVF. I don't know if I see a shimmer, but I find that the E-P1 is a bit easier to manual focus than the E-PL1. Last night using the Yashinon 50/1.4 in the streets, and having worn contacts all day, my eyes were tired and not good for close-up focus (ie. MY focus, not the Yashinon) on the LCD, but turning the focus ring back and forth and grabbing what I could I still had a better than 70% success rate
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, it's tough to describe it but its very easy to see. I don't see on my Panasonic cameras either. Its funny that while the G2 and GF2 has much higher resolution LCDs I don't find them any more effective an nailing manual focus than the LCD on the E-P1. Having the EVF on the G2 does make a difference but if you're going with the LCD then not so much.

I'll make sure the E-P1 sends you some photos and writes you occasionally. :biggrin:
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Like anything I found I got better success when I practiced it a bit. SOmething that I added to the E-P1 that seemed to make a difference was an GGS glass LCD protector. It boosted contrast and I thought improved the LCD a bit (and it looked cool).