E-P1 psuedo-peaking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Nov 22, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have an E-P1 on route (and excited to get it) and I have been thinking about using my MF lenses with it. When I last had an E-P1 I remember thinking that in some ways manually focusing was a bit easier on the rather low resolution LCD than you might think. I use a G2 as well and love the EVF but in some ways the LCD is easier. What happens on the E-P1 as I recall is that when the image is in focus the image on the LCD shimmers. Sometimes I find that method as good or even better than the EVF (especially when my eyes are tired from using the EVF and feeling a bit tired).

Now recently the NEX cameras introduced peaking and it looks very cool but it also reminds me a lot fo the shimmer to focus thing going on with the E-P1. Also, while I think NEX peaking is probably very nice for manual focusing I fid it funny that you see folks acting like manually focusing on m43 is impossible. I have a lot of manually focussed images that say otherwise. I tell you my old Olympus E510 had the tiniest OVF I have ever seen in a DSLR and low resolution or not the LCD is infinitely easier than that. I do like using the EVF (My G2 is a terrific camera for manual focus lenses) but the LCD is very useable as well.

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    your E-P1 should be there soon. I'm not shimmering is the right word, but I definitely "saw" something on the LCD on the E-P1 that I DON'T see on my Panasonics. It's like an edge "pops" into focus or something. Considering it's all visual and not electronic...it's a cool effect (and very real). I could manually focus old glass under normal outdoor light....that was the main reason I kept it for so long. Show us some photos you take when it arrives...it'll ease my sellers' remorse.

3. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I don't always do perfect on manual focus with the LCD, but I'm not sure I would do any better with the EVF. I don't know if I see a shimmer, but I find that the E-P1 is a bit easier to manual focus than the E-PL1. Last night using the Yashinon 50/1.4 in the streets, and having worn contacts all day, my eyes were tired and not good for close-up focus (ie. MY focus, not the Yashinon) on the LCD, but turning the focus ring back and forth and grabbing what I could I still had a better than 70% success rate

4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, it's tough to describe it but its very easy to see. I don't see on my Panasonic cameras either. Its funny that while the G2 and GF2 has much higher resolution LCDs I don't find them any more effective an nailing manual focus than the LCD on the E-P1. Having the EVF on the G2 does make a difference but if you're going with the LCD then not so much.

I'll make sure the E-P1 sends you some photos and writes you occasionally. :biggrin:

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Like anything I found I got better success when I practiced it a bit. SOmething that I added to the E-P1 that seemed to make a difference was an GGS glass LCD protector. It boosted contrast and I thought improved the LCD a bit (and it looked cool).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.