E-P1 & Pany 14-45mm Which IS to use?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andyw, May 14, 2010.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I did do a search but came up with nowt....sorry if this has been asked before.

Taking delivery of a E-P1 and Panasonic 14-45mm lens soon both of which have IS so should i turn the IS off on the lens or is it better to either use just the lens IS or both?
  2. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I seem to remember an owner of both on here before saying he reckoned the Pana OIS worked better. No idea if you can use both.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    From what I read (don't remember where) ot os recommended to switch one off - on camera or lens is your choice.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Thanks peeps.

I'll do a test and see which comes out steadier. Watch this space........
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Discussed in FAR more detail than you'll probably ever want to read. Overall conclusion is that the OIS is a bit better than IBIS generally, but don't use either when using a tripod and there appears to be no downside to using both. I personally find an upside to using both with the 45-200, but I don' know if its real or imagined. Certainly doesn't hurt though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I have the 45-200 Panny for my E-P1 and there isn't any significant difference in stabilisation quality with that lens using the 2 methods. You do get a slightly more stable image with the lens IS but it is really only noticable at the longer end of the zoom range of the 45-200 so I wouldn't expect much benefit (if any) on the shorter zoom.

I leave the in-camera IS on as I swap between Olympus lenses and the 20mm Panny which doesn't have lens-based IS.

Try it out for yourself and choose whatever you prefer. That's part of the fun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I found the IBIS better on the 14-45.
    But, the lens IS is real good on the long end.
    I keep IBIS on all the time and with longer lenses, I use Both systems. On the shorter end just the IBIS
    • Like Like x 1
  8. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Lubly jubly, Thanks peeps!
  9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ibis is great but the lens ois is somewhat better imho , not certain about this , anyway when ibis is switched off and ois is switched on you can see it working to combat shake in real time , esp in mag mode , looks like canon IS binocs .... everything is smoothed