E-P1 or E-P2

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by BBW, Jan 13, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

For those of you who already have either one, do you wish you'd gone the "other way"?

I'm really interested in hearing from any and all about what makes them really glad they bought the version they chose. In all my readings it appears that the big deal for the E-P2 is the EVF and I suppose the ability to manually control the video. (I don't care too much about the video.)

Would I be right that the firm ware upgrade that I've seen posted about here brings the auto focussing of the 1 in line with the 2? Can you put it into layman's terms for me as to the advantages of one camera's methods to the other's?

Do any of you who have the E-P1 and wear glasses find that manually focusing is difficult? Since I have had to wear "progressive lenses" all the time for quite a few years, I have found that using a manual focus such as the split screen on my old OM-1 was quite difficult...so much so that I pretty much gave up using it. In reading about these two new cameras from Olympus I became interested in getting back into some more involved photography...and even began to wonder about using my old lenses.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Many thanks in advance - and I hope this is the correct forum for my questions!
  2. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    I'm smithereens away from ordering an E-P1 (so don't actually own a Pen) but I was under the impression that pre-1.2 firmware, the E-P1 had identical AF performance compared to the E-P2? So now it should be better, just until the E-P2 gets its own firmware update.
  3. BBW

Thanks for your reply, chylid. I'm still not clear if this update effects the autofocusing upgrade and brings both e-p cameras in line with each other or not - when it comes to the LCD. I hope it does!

Does anyone else have any opinions to offer on the above - and the need or not of the EVF when using their cameras either in manual focus or with older Olympus lenses?

In my various readings I've gotten the impression that many think the LCD is fine for manually focusing. I do realize this is a very subjective question but would love to hear more responses.

Thanks for your input.:bump:
  4. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    E-P2 if you can afford it.
  5. BBW

Thanks for your input voyager. I appreciate it.

With the E-P2, I can always choose not to use the EVF but it does seem as though it would be helpful with my eyes and old camera lenses.
  6. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
  7. BBW

I just took a look at it, thanks. I'll say one thing, he's enthusiastic that's for sure.:wink: It appears he has several videos he's put together. Kind of endearing.