E-P1 old school

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ccunningham, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I got the VF-1 the other day, and stuck it on my E-P1 before I headed out. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I was toting something around that wouldn't have raised an eyebrow in the 1960's (at least as long as no one saw the digital bits.)
    I had set the camera down and downloaded images, and then saw what the E-P1 looked like with finder and skin. So I had to take a shot of it I was so amused.

[​IMG]

Specifically, it looks remarkably similar to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Leica-wide_angle_IMG_0248.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I love the look of that camera especially with the evf.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I have the same setup and it's a joy to use.

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That's a sweet setup for the street.

5. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It is pretty cool for wandering around downtown. Although it would work well anywhere.
    The only real complaint I have is that you can't easily set an f-stop and then crank the lens to its hyper-focal distance. It's okay, I'll get over it, but still it would be nice. And definitely like the 17mm, it's nice.

BTW: visited your observations gallery. Some great stuff.

6. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey, talk about reminiscing about viewfinders. Here's a picture of my first camera, which my dad gave to me in the late 1970s. He acquired it circa 1950 in Germany. There's no rangefinder or exposure meter, so you had to guesstimate. BTW, the camera is in great shape and still works today. :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    VF

Walt,

That little round vf would look fine on my E-p1. Let me know if you need my address!

Very nice indeed. Nice base it's sitting on too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmmmmm...... I never thought of that Steve. I wonder how the viewfinder would work with a 24mm or 28mm lens. I'll have to experiment!

P.S. I probably won't need your address. :tongue: This baby is a family heirloom and a keeper! :wink:

9. paprisfotografy

paprisfotografy New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2010
    Wow! That looks really vintage and elegant! I'm gonna get the skin too! Thanks!

10. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Great looking combo for sure. A couple of weeks ago when I got my E-PL1, my wife (who is a complete non-photographer,) said, "This looks like an old style camera," or something to that effect. I said, "Yep, that's the idea." :)

I think the Pens are easily some of the best looking cameras around. I've never been one for a camera's style being any factor at all in my purchase but it doesn't hurt ;-)