e-p1 IS, when does it kick in?

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
So I've only had my e-p1 for about a week.

The first time I heard the IS turn on I was left wondering "what is that horrible grinding noise?" It mainly confused me because I didn't hear it all the time.

After some searching, I believe I read that IS does not turn on if the shutter speed is above 2 seconds. (and it seems audibly true on my e-p1).

After some playing around... I'm under the impression that there's a minimum shutter speed at which the IS also doesn't turn on - but I'm not quite sure what it is...

does anyone know what the shutter speed range for IS to turn on is?

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Depends on the focal length of the lens fitted. For non 4/3rds lenses, you can enter the focal length.

I must admit, I can never hear it. Certainly not over things like the auto focus motor, SSWF and shutter - all of which make pretty horrible noises.

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
Depends on the focal length of the lens fitted. For non 4/3rds lenses, you can enter the focal length.

I must admit, I can never hear it. Certainly not over things like the auto focus motor, SSWF and shutter - all of which make pretty horrible noises.
IS only turns on when the photo is taken, it's not always on - unless there's a setting I haven't found.

Set your shutter to something like 1.5 seconds. You'll hear the focus, shutter, then after the shutter opens you'll hear a rumble, which stops when you hear the shutter close.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
IS only turns on when the photo is taken, it's not always on - unless there's a setting I haven't found.

Set your shutter to something like 1.5 seconds. You'll hear the focus, shutter, then after the shutter opens you'll hear a rumble, which stops when you hear the shutter close.
OK, I did that and yeah there is a rumble. I thought that was Olympus's attempt at the old nastolga bit of the noise of an old clockwork bulb timer or self-timer.

I never hand hold at those sorts of shutter speeds and turn IS off when shooting on a tripod so it is no wonder I haven't heard it. You don't notice the IS over the noise of the shutter at normal hand held speeds of around 1/8and faster.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom