E-P1 & E-PL1 Infrared

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mark Hilliard, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mark Hilliard

Mark Hilliard Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forums and wanted to share how I use my 2 PEN systems.... Infrared! I have had both converted, the P1 to 720nm and the L1 to Full spectrum. It is likely more information than you need here but I have a ton of data on my blog:

Infrared Atelier's Infrared Photography Blog

If you are interested at all in Infrared using the PEN system I would love to discuss it. I have used MANY converted camera systems in the past and have found the PEN to be the BEST IR system I have ever used.

I have seen only 1 IR post here so far but have not really looked hard yet.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I would love to hear about it. I worked with some of the first Mid-Wave and Long-Wave Digital sensors in the 1980s. I have one of the first commercial DSLR's for IR, a Kodak DCS200ir. No longer do it on a professional basis, but still have a keen interest.

3. amaimani

amaimani Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Oman
    I have been looking to start doing some IR and UV work with my PEN E-P2. I guess all is needed is some IR filters like B+W 091 or 093..
    I would appreciate if this thread starts getting rich in the pros and cons of using MFT cameras for such work.

4. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I suspect the the OP had his camera modified by taking the Infrared Cut filter out of it.

I just held my EP2 up to the Wii IR LED Bar- you can clearly see the IR LEDS on the viewscreen. Worth trying with the IR filters. And now I have a good reason to leave the Hot Mirror Filters on my lenses that I use with the M8 and the EP2.

5. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    PEN mod

Yes, the cut(hot mirror) was removed by spensers camera. They are the only service doing the PEN's. If you read further down my blog I tell about the two conversions I had done.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Mark, glad to have you here and stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum when you have a chance. :thumbup:

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    At a very basic / high level. Why would some one want to do IR photography v.s. "normal" photography? what are the changes or advantages of it?

8. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Ir vs. Color

Good question! My point in using the 4/3 system aside from it's quality is it's small size. I always have this full spectrum camera with me for IR, so it only makes sense that it be able to shoot color as well! Plus the ability to change IR bands on the fly out weighs it's ability to shoot in color.

Have you looked at well done IR images? Go take a look at my Ir page below for a wide range of examples and see what you think! IR is simply a way to look at the world a little differently. You could also ask the same question about color as in: Why shoot the same color images as every one else? There is very little out there that someone else has not already shot! The only difference is how you see it as in "looking at the world a little differently". II is just another tool in that quest.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Based on Mark's experience, I contacted Spencer's Camera and placed an order for a Full-Spectrum EP2 with EVF and 17/2.8. This is considered "Special Order", but the price is equivalent to buying a camera and having them mod it.

It is about $11,000 less than the 1.6MPixel full-spectrum camera that I bought for work. That was 17 years ago. Bought the EP2 as I can use it with all of my Nikon lenses and it has Video capability and Liveview. I considered the Fuji full-range DSLR, but wanted the Video.

10. dbateman

dbateman New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2010
    UV work with EPL1?

Have you tried UV yet with your EPL1?

I have a Venus 2 filter that I use with my Full spec E510, and found that the UV response was the same with my unconverted E3!

So I tend to use the E3 for UV, and the E510 for IR. I am wondering what the UV response if like in the Pens. Any info would be great.

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Mark, interesting last post on the blog. I 100% agree, IR turns the harsh bright mid-day sun into perfect lighting. I took a few on a resort trip up north on tuesday afternoon, here is the Gallery Link (images at the end)

and a couple samples (taken with the e-pl1, 9-18mm and 52mm hoya r72, which unfortunately has a crack in it! Alleviated by pointing away from the sun, thankfully); these are straight from the camera, only WB tweaks from foliage - I love the icy look to the water, it definitely wasn't this calm!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    I am considering having my EPL1 converted to IR. I look forward to reading your blog.

13. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I have an interest too. Owned a converted E-500 - since sold and am considering converting my E-P2.

For the uninitiated the conversion makes the camera as responsive for focussing, exposure times etc as a normal camera. Using a R72 filter or similar on the front of an unconverted camera needs long exposures with a tripod and focussing can be a problem as the VF is dark with the filter attached.

14. qqspm

qqspm New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2010
    Kansas City, MO, US
    Interested photos. I always wonder how to chose correct WB. Point on a white place first? Or maybe just get a raw first then change as you want?

15. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi Mark,
    So now you followed me over here also? (Just kidding!!!)
    Glad to have you join the group.

For everyone else, Mark (and his blog) was one of my inspirations to getting a m4/3 camera converted for IR use. I had the work done on an EPL1 and have been very happy with the results.
    Some shots if interested: infrared_photography Photo Gallery by Steve Wandy at pbase.com

16. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    I will try the just-ordered full-spectrum camera with UV. I have a calcium Fluorite lens, and bought an M42 adapter for it.

17. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Great images! You really gotta love this system!

18. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I have been gone on a long road trip for a while! But, I am back at last. I think that I am going to go to a local pier and shoot the hurricane induced waves under it in ir shortly but am dismayed by the fact that all of my nd filters are transparent to ir!

Have any of you guys found any that work in the ir range?

19. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC

Not yet, but there are several examples of pure uv over on the ir forums.. Hmm I cannot remember the URL but it is under the longs menu of the blog. The images that I have seen in pure uv are stunning, but requires special filters for uv pass and ir block!

20. Mark Hilliard

Jun 22, 2010
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Point the camera at some green grass in the light then do your wb on it! Easy and fast with good results!

It is better to get the wb correct in the camera which will then give you an accurate histogram!