1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P1...curse you

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, May 14, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I am finding that I really quite like my quirky, temperamental E-P1. it sits there with a Panasonic 20 on it and despite being bested in just about every way by my G2 I still find that I grab it more often when I go out. I still can't figure out what the allure is but it is most definitely there.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-P1 is a kick but in a completely different way. It makes a nice point and shoot replacement with some manual controls when needed. I am using it in place of an LX3 that I sold. I always shot in WA so the E-P1 with the 20 is a nice compromise. I'm looking forward to taking the E-P1 out with the Panasonic 14. I am finding too that the E-P1 isn't that bad to manually focus with (my G2 is better however and gets most of the manual focus duties but the E-P1 can do it in a pinch).

BTW...the AF on the E-P1 is still horrible. I have learned to make it less of an issue. When I don't want to let the camera do it's strange focus point selections (and that is often) I shoot in A mode with 1 centered focus point and center weighted metering. The thumbwheel makes aperture selection a breeze.

3. Aha! We did try to warn you. Resistance is futile...

5475776229_1b3cb12ba2_z.

5585094330_6dcfefa9e4_z.

5480229459_71d223c679_z.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's a wonderful little camera. I'm sure not for everyone, but it's got such a flawed little alure. I've had an EP1 for two years now, and that's the longest I've owned a digital camera. I keep thinking about replacing it, but I just can't.

You're now one of us :D

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Do we have some sort of tattoo or secret handshake?

6. Nah, but when you see the white knuckles from holding onto the 'grip', or the squinty eyes from looking at the LCD in the sun, or the calloused thumb from switching through display modes to go from MF assist view to change the ISO and back again, you'll know.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matio

Matio Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Petaluma, CA
    Hi Everybody-

Just took my 'new' E-P1 out for a spin today after being baptized into Mu-43 by an E-PL1 for the past year. Any tips and tricks for someone in my shoes who is relishing the opportunity to dive into older (and decidedly more stylish and satisfying) technology? Specifically, I'm curious about jpg settings -- vivid? Normal? Saturation/Sharpness/Contrast? What are you doing to get the most out of your ooc output?

Is there any way to get that pinpoint focus box that I enjoyed so much with my E-PL1?

Thanks in advance for any tips you'd be kind enough to provide!

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Short answer : no. Sorry.

As of jpg, I just shoot them at normal settings, anything else I do in post from RAW.

Cheers,

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :rofl:

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    See that's why I use AF lenses on the E-P1...callous prevention. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    It's funny, I remember the frustration of the slow focus, but I still miss it. I'm feeling the urge to seek a used body on the cheap.

• Like Like x 2
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    It is definitely a case of something be more than the sum of it's parts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matio

Matio Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Petaluma, CA
    Thanks -- looks as though I need to start exploring Lightroom / RAW!

Cheers-

14. Matio

Matio Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Petaluma, CA
    I just picked up a mint body for $250 on eBay: The best $250 I could have spent! Loving the shooting experience with the E-P1.

15. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The focus speed has been improved by applying a firmware upgrade. I do not miss the slow focus.

16. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Interesting thoughts. I find myself in the same situation and setup (E-P1 w/ Panasonic 20mm lens), along with a Panasonic G2. I really like both cameras, and despite of the fact that the G2 comes with me a lot more than the E-P1, I can't let it go, and take it with me to places where the G2 just stands out of place (not like a point and shoot camera).

17. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I've had my E-P1 for about 2 weeks now. I just tried to update the firmware last night, but it already had the latest update, v1.4 I think.

I have to say, I'm loving this camera a lot! I bought it to use as a travel camera when I'm on my motorcycle, and for when the E-600 is just too big to take along. The IQ is great, I think better than the E-600. Full manual control is easy with the 2 dials. AF seems to lock on better than the E-600 as well. Since I do 99% of my work on a tripod, speed is not an issue for me.

18. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    The only really missed thing on the ep1 for me is a good viewfinder for bright light manual focusing. This is the little camera that can! I do wish the body was more rugged for out door work and heavy legasy glass. But there is no perfect camera. It is still the most versital camera that I have ever owned for the way I work (play).

19. LOL, this thread has very quickly become the meeting ground for the E-P1 Appreciation Society. Good to see that there is still some love for the first Digital Pen.

20. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Guzziknight? Izzis here a Mandello get-together? Black 1200 Sport over here... A Manfrotto clamp on the bike (under the seat otherwise) often replaces the tripod. A quarter-ton bike is stable enough ;)