1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P1 and manual focus lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 21, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Are there any tricks to using the E-P1 and manual focus lenses in less than ideal light? In bright light the LCD (as expected) washes out completely. Typically I just switch to my G2 and use the EVF but I am determined to figure out a way to go EVF-less. If not, my E-P1 is going to be pretty lonely all Summer.

I am considering a ClearViewer. I have one on my Panasonic ZS3 point and shoot and it works pretty well. Also, perhaps some sort of hood or flip down viewer might work. For the most part I find the LCD on the E-P1 to be pretty useable despite having much lower resolution than the one on the G2. It seems to have a decent viewing angle and it's surprisingly easy to tell when something is in focus. Until recently I just threw an AF lens like the Panasonic 20 on the E-P1 and called it good but the lack of IBIS on the G2 is making me want to have the option to use the E-P1 if I need it.

Any suggestions (and buy an E-P3 or E-PL3 is not what I am after)?

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll be watching this thread and await some tips as well. I just broke down and re-bought my first love camera. I plan on using the E-P1 mainly with vintage manual focus glass.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I believe if you turn on Live Boost menu option it will try to make LCD look... viewable. Of course it will not simulate exposure anymore but you can still review the shots after you make them or enable histogram in INFO settings/LV-INFO menu. Of course, for MF lenses I alway prefer to have the green rectangle...

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    How about zone focusing your manual lenses using the markings on the lens barrel. Just remember to compensate for the DOF scale. I find I have enough of a monitor image to frame.

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree, i have found having the green rectangle makes accessing the LCD magnification simpler.

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I've seen some clever Hasselblad 500-series folding hoods adapters eBayed from China. The trick is they use a 90° support which bolts on the tripod thread. The hood slips in a sort of rail.
    FSU (Kiev) hoods will work too, and they're much cheaper.

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was thinking that might be the way to approach this. That's an old street shooter's trick. I relieves you of the need to focus, but you gotta practice those distance estimating skills a bit. :biggrin: What I love about the E-P1 is the old school appeal, so I guess and old school shooting technique might be the best match for it.

8. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Estimating distances

Keep in mind, however, at least I think it's the case, that MF adapter are often made a little bit smaller than calculated size, on the "safe" side of infinity focusing.
    At any rate, pretty much all MF lenses I adapted to my EP-1 focus beyond infinity, so using the farthest focusing ring position is pretty much pointless, especially wide open. I know AF lenses focus beyond infinity by design, but why would MF lenses do so I'm not sure, so I assume it's because of the adapters.

Do try to turn on Live Boost though :wink:

9. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    As mentioned above, I also use waist level finder for Kiev-6 medium format camera.
    I mostly use legacy lenses and this 'hood' works for blocking lights and it also has magnifier glass. I'll still use it until I can afford VF-2 :)

10. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Here it is Adapter use hasselblad waist finder w Olympus E-P1 E-P2