1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-P to E-PM experience

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uscrx, Aug 1, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Question for some.
    Looking to upgrade sensor, focus, and speed from e-p2.

So looking at e-pm2 or e-pl5.

What was your experience adjusting to a smaller lighter body and different control lay out?

Thanks.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The IQ is the same (excellent) for both bodies. The two big questions are

1. How many explicit physical controls do you need? The PL5 has more, but the PM2 has a few extra relative to the PM1 so it may be enough.
    2. Do you want the tilting screen? I like the tilting screen on the PL5 because I can put it horizontal and shoot from waist level, which I find to be more stable that using the LCD at eye level.

Those are the biggest differences. If they don't matter to you, then get the E-PM2.

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I used to have the E-M5 and got the E-PM2 now.

While the E-PM2 doesn't have tilt screen and fewer buttons with back wheel, the controls is intuitive enough to be able to adjust all 3 important components such as ISO, Shutter and Aperture very easily.

Coupled it with the ability to set the AF point to small already and SCP + Touch screen.

it's damn easy to use. :smile:

4. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Any difficulty in getting used to smaller size?

Thanks y'all!

5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Had the E-P1 and then got an E-PM1. I guess there are improvements in AF and general speed with E-PM1, but as well as that I really love the small size. The controls (or lack of) took some getting used to but it wasn't that bad. I'm probably using Program mode more than I used to.

But the size to me is a huge advantage. I don't use a strap of any kind with the E-PM, and just kinda hold it by the lens when I'm walking around or tuck it under my arm. I use E-P1 for more complex shooting, tripod work etc for greater control, but I'm using E-PM1 99% of the time now.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I've gone from an E-5 to an EPM2, talk about a size difference. The tilting screen of the Epl5 is what I wish the epm2 had.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    It's not difficult at all specially with lenses like the 17mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8 and the samyang fisheye.

With the 75mm it feels front heavy but I hold/support the lens when shooting anyway so it's okay.

E-Pm2 is very easy to use when set up properly.:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app