"E-M6"... why do so many want it to be bigger than E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by IDLookout, May 15, 2013.

1. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Reading forums across this great 'net, i've seen many "What will the E-M6 be like?" type of posts. Seems to be a large number of people want the next OMD to be Bigger.

I guess i just don't get it. One of the whole points of the E-M5 was it's size and "retro" styling.

I'll be disappointed if the next OMD is "bigger."

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Nope, I don't want it to be bigger, I just want it to have more bump on the hand grip and to let the Fn1 and Play button be easier to reach :smile:

3. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    I don't want it bigger. Maybe a bit wider length wise and shorter in height. I guess more rectangular than square. Kind of like the iphone 4 to iphone 5 change. the iphone 5 is a little bigger but feels smaller somehow

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Most of the people who want it bigger are those who are also hoping it will have the long-awaited solution to focusing traditional 4/3 lenses, in particular the fast SHG Zuikos. If you are using a 35-100mm f2, 90-250mm f2.8 or 300mm f2.8 then a larger, heavier body will balance better.

Those of us who do not intend to mount these lenses would prefer to retain a small, light body. Olympus won't please everyone, except perhaps if they release two bodies.......:biggrin:

5. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Those who want bigger bodies can just get the grip:smile:

I personally wanted a bigger body when I was shooting FF to balance the bigger lenses before so I got the grip but the reason I shifted to m43 now is because I want a lighter smaller body and overall kit.

I even chose OM-D over the Panasonic GH3 as well due to the small size. So I hope they don't make it bigger and not smaller either :biggrin:

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't think lenses that big really 'balance' on any body. As long as you're going to be supporting the kit by the lens in the first place, body size doesn't really make much of a difference.

But put me in the camp of hoping the E-M6 is exactly the same size as the E-M5 (or a bit smaller, if they can shrink that darn hump).

7. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    ohh yeah that would be a welcome development for sure but seeing it as a traditional design by Oly, I doubt they would shrink it.

8. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    Personally, i LOVE the hump and everything about the camera ergonomically. I find myself taking it out and putting it in my hand just for the heck of it like no other camera since my OM-2n. I hope that the next versions will be basically the same size.

I think that this particular camera re-awoke (is that a word?) that excitement and desire in me to take pictures.

Taking photos with a camera that is a "close friend" is different than taking them with a "tool", IMO.

Yes, i know it's just a bunch of plastic, metal and glass, but it's more than just a tool to me.

9. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Put me in the camp of "don't want it any bigger; same size or smaller group" :D

And I'm exactly with dhazeghi: too may people hold the camera by the body when they should be supporting bigger lenses by the lens itself.

10. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't want the camera to be bigger, but I would like it if the buttons were bigger! :)

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It appears that most folks who have responded like the current size. The only real disagreement concerns the size of the "hump". Not surprising, :43: is supposed to be smaller - that's part of the attraction for most of us.

12. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Consensus will vary from forum to forum, but I think most people here don't want it to be bigger. I'd also love for it to be smaller, if anything. Actually, if it controlled like the E-P5, I think it'd be wonderful; I love that switch to change the function of the dials at an instant.

They can probably improve the buttons a bit, although I never had any issues with them. As others have said, if you want it to be bigger, get the grip. Granted, it would be nice if it were cheaper, but there are aftermarket options.

13. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I think this is part of the genius of the OMD, which is the 2-part add-on grip. Therefore, it's practically "3-cameras-in-one." For those who want just bit more of a grip, they can just put the smaller, first part on and call it good (or just get one of the 3rd party alternatives for cheaper/battery access) :)

14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I am another person who switched from a D700 to OMD because of it's size and weight (as well as the IQ that while not as good across the board as the D700, offers me what I want).

I would certainly not want a bigger camera as I love the OMD with the HLD-6 grip and would be hard pushed to move up in size/weight.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1, leave it the same size. It's one of the major attractions - I will admit it a took a while to really get used to, but it works great for me now. Main 'aha' moment was when I realized I shouldn't try to operate either dial with my thumb, but both with my index finger and keep my thumb on the rest. I haven't really been tempted to get the grip, either.

16. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I'm going to go against the grain here, I struggled with the size of the OMD until I bought the HLD-6 grip but now with the smaller of the 2 parts mounted I find it the perfect size.

That doesn't mean I want the OM-6 larger but it wouldn't bother me if it was the size of the current EM-5 plus the fist part of the existing grip.

I wouldn't want it as large as a GH3 though...

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's the users coming from big, bulky, heavy, oversized cameras like the E-5 & E-3...this former E-3 user on the other hand loves the size of the E-M5!

18. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Because they have GH3 envy, and they think a bigger Olympus will make it better than the GH3??? :rolleyes: Personally, and this is a personal matter we're talking about, I like the size of the EM-5 + grip perfectly the way they are. :2thumbs:

19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    What I would say to Olympus about the general, shape and size, of the body is: Leave it alone. It's just what I want.

If people want a bigger camera, they should buy a DSLR. I'm all for micro 4/3 staying micro. IF you want bigger, get the grip.

20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Another one here who jumped from FF dslrs. I think leaving the grip as an optional accessory is the better course of action. It leaves the choice of customization of how big the camera is up to the consumer.

What I think they could do different is keep the OM-D the same, but either include the optional 1st part of the HL6 (not the battery part) either in the box with the body or available separately.

I have no interest whatsoever in the battery pack - but if Oly sold an OEM "dumb" grip for a good price that would be awesome.