E-M6 new sensor?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by daum, May 13, 2013.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I'm really tempted to get the E-P5 but I know the E-M5 update is near. Do you guys think they will update the sensor? If so I'd rather wait for the E-M6.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I would be quite surprised if the next OM-D has a new sensor. Perhaps it will be "tweaked", but I don't expect a major leap like we saw between the E-P3 and the E-M5.

Sent from my SGH-T779 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I would love to see a new sensor, but if Olympus's past has proven anything (with their recycling the same sensor for a long time), I won't hold my breath.

Then again, with Sony now backing them up, there is still a chance--especially when you consider how groundbreaking the OMD was for m43, and I would think/hope that they would pull out all the stops for their flagship.

Not that the sensor we have now is bad by any means...!

4. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I'm wondering if the EM-5 replacement(s) might be delivered either without an optical low-pass filter (OLPF) like the D7100 or at least in 2 versions, one with and one without like the D800 and D800E.

That would make a good marketing distinction between the current EM-5 and what follows and differentiate it from the Pen EP-5 as well.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't think we've categorically proved that the OM-D has a Sony sensor. Especially when you factor in some of the purple fringe problems on the Lumix 7-14 that both the GH3 & OM-D experience.

6. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I think that would be the smart thing to do. I mean the EM6 is the flagship. It has to do something to separate itself from the EP5 other than being weather resistant and having an EVF.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And is the earth round? :rolleyes: :wink:

Of course, the lens has nothing to do with it, does it? :hmmm: :wink:

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    " Olympus President Sasa confessed the Olympus E-M5 sensor has been made by Sony" this was from Jul 2012 and I understand this has now been endorsed by other senior Olympus staff.

I would hope that the OMD EM-5 replacement will come with a few changes to take it once more to the front of the pack.

The sort of changes I would like to see are:

1. A new Sony sensor with better dynamic range (base ISO of 100 would also be nice even if it comes at the expense of high ISO as I suspect many more would prefer to shoot at 100 than 25,600 - especially with fast lenses).
    2. Top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec
    3. Flash sync of 1/500 sec (if they can do 1/320th they can do it)
    4. Phase detection AF capability added to Contrast detection AF
    5. Effective "Focus tracking" capability
    6. New Sony based EVF

Also interesting to read recent thoughts "Olympus OM-D: No low pass filter"

I would also hope that any new camera will also take the HLD-6 battery grip to allow those who have one on exisitng OMD to interchange as & when desired.

I also wonder if we will see a replacement before the end of this year and if it will retain the same footprint / body style as the exisiting OMD (I hope so)?

10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    For the sensor to be improved significantly, Sony have to improve their tech. Seeing as they make sensors for so many people, phone manufacturers even, if they'd made any major advances we would've heard about them by now. I think phase detect on the sensor, particularly if it's more effective than the implementations we've seen so far, would be the most transformative change. It's the biggest thing m43 is missing, effective AF tracking.

I'd like to see the viewfinder based around Epson's LCD panel, not Sony's OLED one. Colours are inaccurate on an OLED to begin with, and only get worse as the display ages, as some colours die faster than others.

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Was going to post this, when I saw the current thread:

(FT4) First E-M6 rumors. Same VF-4 viewfinder quality and Phase Detection on sensor. | 43 Rumors

Personally, I don't believe there will be a brand new sensor, hoping for one based on the current one but improved.

As the article on 43rumors says, we can be confident all E-P5 improvements will be present in the E-M6, and then some.

But, if we believe the, sometimes misleading, Olympus "official" channels, this will NOT be their absolute flagship camera. They have made it evident in many occassions that the OM line is their high end/prosumer/semi-pro offering (same class as the 7D, D7100, A77 etc). They have insisted that a true "pro" (i.e. E-series replacement) will come at some point later. I believe they are waiting for sensor technology from Sony to improve enough to justify making such a camera. If it comes, it will be by the end of this year or first quarter of '14, IMHO.

12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I too would be surprised to see a radically new sensor in the next OMD. They may do some tweaking. Sensor performance in the E-PL5 and P2 seems like it might be a tad better. The sensor is pretty darn good. Maybe I'm easy to please. Better high iso performance would always be welcome but ... I like a lot of the changes they've made with the new P5. I think we can probably assume the next OMD gets 1/8000 shutter speed, faster flash sync, ability to permanently set a smaller focus point (Oly should change this in firmware), some type of focus peaking, and an improved EVF. If they can crack the poor autofocus with 43 lenses and bring continuous autofocus tracking up to current dSLR standards I'd be really happy.

13. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    OM-D's EVF is enough for all purposes, and if they only add 1/8000, ISO 100, Wifi and focus peaking for the new "E-M6" then it won't be worth to upgrade. They need to go farther and add something really important, like phase detection AF with a good C-AF, better compatibility with 4/3 lenses, or maybe forget the OM style and build it with a "rangefinder" style with the EVF on left and the whole camera being smaller than the current OM-D

14. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    I doubt it'll be a new generation of sensor, but it should be an improvement over its predecessors anyway.

15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Let's just hope they don't use the same sensor for three generations of OM-D's and PENs, like they did with the E-P1 thru E-P3. By that "tweaked" doesn't count.

One could almost guarantee LOW ISO extended down to 100 will be in the new one, with on-sensor PDAF from Sony (as seen on NEX-6, Fuji X100S) being implemented.

One could speculate that the Sony 24MP APS-C chip with no OLPF will be fabbed in m4/3 size also...

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I would not be surpised to see a variant of the Sony Sensor used in the D800E used in the next Olympus E series Pro model so something in between for the next OMD would be nice.

Just hope it hits the light of day this year!

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Just to make this clear: the D800E sensor is exactly the same as in the D800 "non E" version. It doesn't lack a AA filter either. It has an additional "correcting" filter on top of the existing AA (of the D800 "proper").

Forget the OM style and still call it "OM"?

Does not compute...

The reason Olympus used the same 12Mp sensor on all versions of the Pen until recently, was simply because Panasonic refused to provide them with a better sensor, opting instead to use them in their own cameras exclusively. Payback is absolutely a bitch, as they say, since now they are forced to use in the GH3 the same sensor Olympus uses... only several months later.

But you have a point in that Olympus is totally dependant on other vendors to provide them with sensors. To be blunt, Sony exclusively. So if Sony can't provide an improved :43: sensor, Olympus can't make a camera with considerably improved IQ.

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've seen people refer to all these recent Sony sensors as 'Exmoor' designs. If they are all the same basic design, it's clear that there is a lot of scope for variation. For example, the pixel size on the 16Mp mft sensor is notably smaller than on the FF equivalent in the D800 - if we scaled up the mft sensor to match the area of FF, it would be 64Mp.

I suspect there is a lot of tweaking going on at the design and fabrication level as Sony adapt to the different sensor sizes and requirements. In any event, I'd not be unhappy with an E-M6 with the existing sensor, but if there was a wish list for a change, this would be mine:

- Improved base-ISO noise
    - ISO lower than 200 - 100 or even 50.
    - More DR
    - Electronic first curtain (no shutter shock)
    - Lower power consumption (improved battery life)
    - Hybrid C and PD AF

19. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    To the more technically inclined:

Do you think that current lenses will support PDAF as this is a feature brought by the camera or do you think that for using PDAF (AF-C) new lenses would be needed.
    That could explain why the new Panasonic lenses have been postponed.

I would really be intersted in that as I've got an Olympus 75mm on order which is not exactly the cheapest lens. I would be very frustrated if that lens would be outdated so soon.....

20. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I doubt based on current Sony pipeline and Olympus history that an all new sensor is going to be likely had anytime soon. Maybe ISO 100 native, maybe better GPU, maybe a 1\2 stop noise improvement but even though I'd like a AA completely removed doubt it as they wouldn't want reviews complaining about the odd bit of moire.

The EM-6 will have just tweaks like the lite variants in the PEN. ie fixed design for screen crack, better buttons, new weather sealed kit lens, wifi.. Maybe even a dual card slot etc.

As for hybrid PDAF, I thought Olympus said that was going to be in a new E- series and not for om-d or pen.