E-M5's electronic zoom versus normal image

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichA, Jun 17, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, it does a very good job. I've tested this using native lenses, legacy glass even a telescope at low power, I very surprised of the results. I have posted a few photo's here and on other sites, some photo's I mentioned the use of the digital teleconverter, others I did not. You are the first person I've seen to mention this.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - this camera keeps impressing me. Someday . . . :rolleyes: 

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    At first glance at the title, I thought it was another thread about the E-Zoom (Electronic/motor-assisted) vs. M-Zoom (Manual) features of the E-M5 12-50mm kit lens! :rofl:

Interesting. I guess the 16MP sensor does give you more to work with than the old 12MP sensor.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I tried it out shortly after I got the camera, and it does a quite credible job if you are shooting jpeg anyway. I did find my raw file, developed to a 48 bit tiff, cropped and resampled did yield a better result, which is not surprising. But I was pretty impressed generally.

Here's a shot with the digital zoom. Made in a cafe with the 12-50 kit zoom at 50mm f6.3 from my table across the way. This is not out of camera, but given the same sharpening, etc. that most of my jpegs get. Just a test of the zoom, but one that made me think I'd use it in a pinch.

[​IMG]

6. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I agree with you. Electronic zoom meaning E-Zoom in the 12-50mm kit lens. Olympus calls digital zoom as digital teleconvertor, why? Should have just stick to well-known phrase of digital zoom, so everyone knows to avoid using it like a stinking can of tuna :rofl:

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    It works well because Olympus is using 16bit pixel interpolation for the 2x zoom on the OMD. It's a first for them on this camera, and as you can plainly see it does a fine job. Glad it's actually a usable feature and not a gimmick as is so often the case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.