1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5's electronic zoom versus normal image

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RichA, Jun 17, 2012.

1. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, it does a very good job. I've tested this using native lenses, legacy glass even a telescope at low power, I very surprised of the results. I have posted a few photo's here and on other sites, some photo's I mentioned the use of the digital teleconverter, others I did not. You are the first person I've seen to mention this.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - this camera keeps impressing me. Someday . . . :rolleyes:

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    At first glance at the title, I thought it was another thread about the E-Zoom (Electronic/motor-assisted) vs. M-Zoom (Manual) features of the E-M5 12-50mm kit lens! :rofl:

Interesting. I guess the 16MP sensor does give you more to work with than the old 12MP sensor.

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I tried it out shortly after I got the camera, and it does a quite credible job if you are shooting jpeg anyway. I did find my raw file, developed to a 48 bit tiff, cropped and resampled did yield a better result, which is not surprising. But I was pretty impressed generally.

Here's a shot with the digital zoom. Made in a cafe with the 12-50 kit zoom at 50mm f6.3 from my table across the way. This is not out of camera, but given the same sharpening, etc. that most of my jpegs get. Just a test of the zoom, but one that made me think I'd use it in a pinch.

[​IMG]

6. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Eddie
    I agree with you. Electronic zoom meaning E-Zoom in the 12-50mm kit lens. Olympus calls digital zoom as digital teleconvertor, why? Should have just stick to well-known phrase of digital zoom, so everyone knows to avoid using it like a stinking can of tuna :rofl:

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    It works well because Olympus is using 16bit pixel interpolation for the 2x zoom on the OMD. It's a first for them on this camera, and as you can plainly see it does a fine job. Glad it's actually a usable feature and not a gimmick as is so often the case.