E-M5III Initial test of Hi-Res mode

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I recently got an E-M5III. I was very interested in trying out the Hi-Res mode, since I do a fair amount of object photography at the museum I volunteer at (paintings, 3-dimensional items, etc).

I did an initial test of it using a print of the DP-review test image taken by a Sony A7R IV full-frame camera (that I printed at 19x13 on my Epson printer). I surrounded this by a few focusing charts around the periphery. Just a quick test vs regular 20MP mode.

Well, wow, there is sooo much more detail in the hi-res jpg version. I can imagine that the jpg engine in the camera may process the two jpgs differently, so it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges, but there is strikingly more detail and info in the hires image. I haven't looked at the raw files yet.

I didn't try interpolating the 20mp image up to 50, but there doesn't seem much point because it's not going to IMPROVE it (at best, it will remain the same).

One thing I want to mention - my first test was a disaster because I kind of assumed that the camera's default hi-res mode would have a medium-length "self-timer" type delay (I had seen in a video that you can adjust this hi-res delay). So, here I was using a 4-second real self-timer delay and no remote shutter release (just pushing the shutter button) for my regular shots, and the default hi-res mode for the hi-res shots, just pushing the shutter button. The hi-res shots were all blurry as hell. Yikes!

Turns out that the default delay for hi-res mode is NO delay - it just takes the shot. Very odd choice by Oly, IMHO. I mean, even with a shutter release in regular mode, I often use a self-timer delay of 2 sec. Anyway, perhaps with a shutter release you could away with no delay even in hi-res mode, but I don't really see the point in that - I mean it takes awhile anyway to process the shot after it's taken (about 5 seconds), so you're not getting it done in a hurry anyway.

Soooo, first thing to do - change the camera default setting for hi-res to at least some delay, IMHO. I am currently using 4 sec. (probably overkill).

(FYI, for my test I used an Oly 45mm f1.8 lens, set at f4 and f5 and ISO 200. Nice results at either f-stop, as expected; no real difference).

MarcioK

Mu-43 Rookie
Even better is to use the Olympus smartphone app as a remote shutter. No need for delays and absolutely no camera shake.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Funnily enough I have recently started to experiment with a 1sec shutter delay on my G90. I have noticed a higher success rate with slow shutter speed when using a delay.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
Yeah, I prefer the wired remote because from what I have heard the wireless app connection eats batteries for lunch (I have not used it, so I don't know; but it makes sense).

The only thing is, with the wired remote, I do think at least a 1-second delay is advisable because I know myself I usually have the wired remote dangling off the tripod head in some fashion and there is a slight potential for a little shake if I'm not careful with it; for example when I stop holding it, even if I let it down gently.

As I said earlier, for hi-res I see no reason to NOT use at least a small delay. Unlike with the real self-timer, the hi-res delay can actually be set from FRACTIONS of a second, up to several seconds (I know that it goes at least up to 4 seconds, which is what I was using when I was too lazy to hook up a remote and was just pressing the shutter). Perhaps say a .5 second delay would do the trick for use with a wired remote and you wouldn't notice it (but again, so what if you notice it a little).

Funnily enough I have recently started to experiment with a 1sec shutter delay on my G90. I have noticed a higher success rate with slow shutter speed when using a delay.
Yes, maybe it's a reason why I'm very bad at slow shutter speeds even with IBIS. I generally don't use shutter delay, and I'd probably should.
For hi-res shots, that's probably even more important.

Yeah, I prefer the wired remote because from what I have heard the wireless app connection eats batteries for lunch (I have not used it, so I don't know; but it makes sense).
It eats the battery of both phone & camera, so when you are away from home, that's 2 things I try to save.
That's a great thing the app exists, especially when you don't want to stand behind the camera, but for regular tripod shots, the wired remote is so simple to use (and very cheap too).

The only thing is that on the E-M5 mkIII, the remote connector is stupidly positionned and you cannot orientate the LCD screen as you want.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom