E-M5iii $898 on Amazon US

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Other than video, would this be a significant step up from my E-M10.2? (I realize it is 16MP vs 20MP). It appears one can currently purchase the (much) larger Lumix G9 for $100 more? And there is a well-rated eBay vendor selling EM1.2 bodies from kits for a tad less than this tempting price on the E-M5.3.

Curious on the significant advantages of the E-M5.3 over the lower-level E-M10.2? (which I've been very happy with)

red_zergling

Mu-43 Veteran
Other than video, would this be a significant step up from my E-M10.2? (I realize it is 16MP vs 20MP). It appears one can currently purchase the (much) larger Lumix G9 for $100 more? And there is a well-rated eBay vendor selling EM1.2 bodies from kits for a tad less than this tempting price on the E-M5.3.

Curious on the significant advantages of the E-M5.3 over the lower-level E-M10.2? (which I've been very happy with)

It has PDAF, so if you photograph people or other moving subjects more often, you might consider the EM5III over the Lumix G9 or upgrading your EM10II.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have both now. I think the autofocus is snappier and better in marginal lighting conditions. It also has a setting for high resolution shots, which I haven't exercised yet. The body of course is plastic, which to some folks is a negative. However, I'm convinced that a positive byproduct of having a plastic body is that if anyone pried it from my cold dead hands it would have very little if any condensation on it. I like it. I think you will too. Of course, the em10IV is right around the corner which could be setting the stage for having 3 Olympus bodies. I might consider wearing all three while walking around town reciting Dennis Hopper's lines from Apocalypse Now. "I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas...etc., etc."

Last edited:

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro

It's basically an EM1.2 in a EM-5 II/Smaller body. so minus the dual card slots , the bigger battery , magnesium body, weaker tripod plate. But with modern amenities like in-camera charging etc.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
It has PDAF, so if you photograph people or other moving subjects more often, you might consider the EM5III over the Lumix G9 or upgrading your EM10II.
Exactly my reason for upgrading. I have kids who play sports and am hoping the improved autofocus will help.

I considered a used EM1ii but I’m one of those “small is my reason for M43” so I went with the EM5iii. I don’t need the other features in the EM1ii.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Although typically not this much delta ($200), Amazon floats prices up/down all the time. But, if you order at a posted price, 99% of the time they deliver at that price. I can't tell you how many times I've had an item in my cart only to have the price increase.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
But with modern amenities like in-camera charging etc.

As I always have multiple batteries (active & hot spare), I have never understood the appeal of in-camera charging.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
The body of course is plastic, which to some folks is a negative.
at that price, plastic is fantastic! gimme gimme gimme!
(checking price here... nope, 1250 euros vat included=1420$US duh, too plastic!
let’s see amazon.co.uk...1015 euros no shipping, ok we are getting there!)

Latest threads

Top Bottom