E-M5III + 12-100 on tripod - anyone doing this?

Uffe

New to Mu-43
It was not planned, but I got the 12-100pro for my EM5-III. I´m perfectly fine with using the lens on the camera, except that I want to use the lens angled on a tripod for HighRes-shots. The lens stays on the camera since I bought it. No pd-clip or carrying around the camera on the tripod.

Is anyone using this lens + M5III on a tripod with or without lens support?

I’m trying out solutions with Amazon metal L-bracket and lens support (Fotga L200). But I don’t understand the forces on the tripod mount. The lens seems to rest on the support even if I angle the camera. The solution is not 100% and takes out a little of the fun, but I will try it out for a while.

I could trade in the M5-III for a used version of EM1-II (around 750€). But I really like my camera, though I first planned using it with primes and 14-150II. I also use pl9 when I want to go small.

/Håkan

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I have frequently used the 12-100 on the EM1 Mk2, tripodded (if that's a word) without issue and without lens support.

I can't help with the science, but it's not that heavy a lens. The support contraption just looks like it gets in the way - a solution looking for a problem in this case. I can see a use for it with a mountless 600mm.

Just don't plonk the tripod down on a hard surface with the lens attached.

This chap always uses a tripod with the 12-100 - he's never needed a support:

PS: If you are using your tripod like him with the centre column at maximum extension, don't be like Dai, get a taller tripod 🤣

Uffe

New to Mu-43
Thank you! I follow Griff since a couple of weeks and enjoy it =)

The EM1-II is better built than the plastic M5III, which had a couple documented failures with the tripod mount - hence my question.

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use the ecg grip when handholding, and attach a three legged Ellie short grip for tripod mounting. I mount the Ellie short to the ecg grip, and have the l bracket by the grip. Wierd, but this allows me to access the remote socket more easily. The other benefit of attaching it to the ecg, is that it is quick and easy to detach and access the battery compartment.

When using primes, the camera has no attachment.

Hope that helps

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I think that the E-M1.2 is a better match for the 12-100, but I don't agree that it is essential (or even essential) for use on a tripod. I have an e-M5.3 and I know how you feel after reading all those scary stories about the tripod mount, but in truth I don't think it is anything to worry about unless perhaps if you were using a much heavier lens than the 12-100. I say use a large QR plate (or something like the Fittest or Ellie grip) if it makes you feel safer (I do use them), but otherwise just use the camera and lens and tripod and forget about that socket.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
I use an STC FOGRIP L-bracket with my 5.3 when handholding it with the 12-100. The accessory grip gives me a better handle on the somewhat lens heavy combo. I have not used it on a tripod much, but one of the reasons I use an L-bracket is to provide Arca-Swiss flanges for the QR mount and to spread the load across the bottom plate of the camera. Any of the larger lenses have their own tripod feet, so that's not an issue for them. I recommend some sort of L-bracket for the 5.3 on a tripod in any situation. I used to use Peak Design clips, but don't any more.

Uffe

New to Mu-43
I use an STC FOGRIP L-bracket with my 5.3 when handholding it with the 12-100. The accessory grip gives me a better handle on the somewhat lens heavy combo. I have not used it on a tripod much, but one of the reasons I use an L-bracket is to provide Arca-Swiss flanges for the QR mount and to spread the load across the bottom plate of the camera. Any of the larger lenses have their own tripod feet, so that's not an issue for them. I recommend some sort of L-bracket for the 5.3 on a tripod in any situation. I used to use Peak Design clips, but don't any more.
Thank you for answers!

Well, I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Version-Release-Bracket-OLYMPUS/dp/B088WWGQHD

Maybe it´s enough. The Fotga L200 lens support is OK, but it adds another thing to be carried and handled. I just want to relax, learn, experiment and enjoy =) But I do see the point with the grip and changing the camera size depending on use.

I´ll give it a try for a while without the Fotga lens support but with the Amazon grip. Maybe static mounting on tripod puts different forces on the mount than bumping up and down on a pd-clip (I never used one though).

Real Name
Walter
Thank you for answers!

Well, I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Version-Release-Bracket-OLYMPUS/dp/B088WWGQHD

Maybe it´s enough. The Fotga L200 lens support is OK, but it adds another thing to be carried and handled. I just want to relax, learn, experiment and enjoy =) But I do see the point with the grip and changing the camera size depending on use.

I´ll give it a try for a while without the Fotga lens support but with the Amazon grip. Maybe static mounting on tripod puts different forces on the mount than bumping up and down on a pd-clip (I never used one though).

Hi @Uffe, that should work just fine. It looks a lot like the Fittest bracket. I previously had a Haoge 5.3 bracket, but prefer the STC, although it is a lot more expensive. The Haoge bracket would be fine too. You just want the bracket to secure firmly against the base of the camera when tightened up. I tend to leave the L-plate (the vertical extension) off unless I know I need it for portrait orientation on a tripod. I agree about the Fotga lens support. Probably unnecessary and cumbersome.

Real Name
Walter
The PD clip seems to feature regularly with reports of the cracked baseplate. I've seen people cycling with a heavy camera/lens combo dangling from a backpack shoulder strap.

Yup. I think the forces acting on the small PD plate and tripod socket with a heavy camera combo bouncing around are too much, especially for the 5.3. I think there are other ways to secure a camera that wouldn't put as much strain on the tripod socket as the PD. How about those camera holsters suspended from backpack straps?

This is kind of an extreme example, but the idea is that you could attach a camera holster to the backpack straps and have it in front of you. Most holster bags could probably be adapted with appropriate connectors or straps, some of which you could jury rig on your own. https://hike734.com/educational/backpacking-with-your-dslr-camera/

Glad I don't try to backpack with a big DSLR and telephoto zoom lens like he does. Yikes!

Last edited:
I use my 5.3 with the 12-100 and tripod fairly frequently. I use a QR flange to attach the camera to the tripod which spreads the load over the camera base. If I move tripod with camera attached I take it slow OR detach camera from tripod and move that way.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom