1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5II long exposure sensor issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Underwater, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    I bought a refurb M5II in July, so I only have a month or so of warranty coverage left. When I reviewed the photos from a recent hunting trip to Eastern Oregon, I found a few pics from one of my Milky Way sessions with some weirdness. Take a look- note the purple edges on one and the banding on the other- both taken at 25 seconds, f1.8, and ISO 1600 with the 8mmFE. The problem is visible on both the jpeg and RAW exposures. Not all of the shots from that night have issues, and none of my shots from two other nights (or any day time shots) exhibit problems. Any explanations of what we're seeing? Should I be worried? I'm otherwise happy with the camera as a second body to my M1, especially as the long exposure performance is better. That said, if this is sign of things to come, maybe I should exchange it.
    P8300354.JPG P8300353.JPG

2. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    What you are seeing is due to the camera sensor heating up. It's exacerbated if ibis is on. Let the camera cool for 30 secs before taking another image or do in camera noise reduction and the problem will go away. Happened with my EM5 but the above cured it.
    Hope this helps... Nice images by the way.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Though seems odd that it would show up in terms of 'heating up' when it's not a burst-mode type of shooting session. I've done 8+ minutes with my E-M5 (Mk1) and immediately taken another shot after and never seen a streaky effect like that on any one single image.

4. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    It becomes more apparent the longer the sequence of images continue.
    Karl, To be honest I don't see how your comment assists the original poster
    Paul, have you noticed that in your second image you have captured a faint meteor or satellite trail ( middle - left hand side, near the edge)?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Thanks, guys- IBIS was on, but so was noise reduction (dark frame subtraction). I had shot maybe 5-10 similar photos before these two- is that enough to overheat? It does make sense, especially the purple fringe. And yes- I did see the meteor; I'd be crying about the ruined shot except that I got an even better one that turned out :)

6. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    In that I don't see it being something that should/would be dismissed as normal operation.

7. AllanG

AllanG Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Allan
    It can be enough to start giving the striped pattern. I use an em5 for Astro as it seems to give better noise reduction than my other cameras and it's weather sealed which is a help. Have a close look at the preceding images and you should see a gradual increase in the stripped pattern until your last image. I guess each camera will have its own parameters but if it's a cold night this will also help but if about 12 centigrade it will come on quickly as it did to me a few nights ago.

Lucky you got a better image of the meteor to satellite, these add a little more to an image.
    Like to see postings of your shots.
    Allan

8. Underwater

Underwater Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2014
    Eugene, Oregon
    Paul
    Thanks, Allan. I feel better about keeping the camera, and I'll post a couple in the 8mmFE Showcase...

9. Orionwest

Orionwest New to Mu-43

Dec 3, 2015
    If the camera is on a tripod the ibis should be turned off. Perhaps that is the reason for the issues you are having.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Maybe buy the extended warranty from Olympus before the original 90 day warranty runs out?

And I agree about turning off IBIS on a tripod. Not sure if IBIS exacerbates the problem you're seeing, but it can't help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I have EM10 not EM5mkii.
    But I have done repeated back to back shots at iso 3200, 30s+ exposure, with dark frame subtraction, IBIS on and have never seen anything like that.
    I don't think that's normal behavior in any case.