E-M5ii high res RAW importing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43happy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I recently read a review on the E-M5ii that mentioned importing (and processing) the high res RAW files directly into Photoshop with the Olympus plug-in yields better results with the image than processing through Lightroom. I just found that little tid bit interesting as I've been on a high-res shot kick lately trying to see what kind of results are passable (particularly in landscapes). I've gone back and reprocessed some images through the plugin directly, and think I notice a slight difference in sharpness (though that could just be all in my head lol). My only issue is that the Olympus plugin is super slow and the processing adjustments are extremely limited compared to Lightroom.

Does anyone else here, who owns an E-M5ii, care to share their experiences?

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I think the days of trying to get a native raw file directly into Photoshop are coming to an end. Adobe wants you to use Lightroom as the DAM that has the raw converter and PS will just be an editing plugin.

Update to camera support policy in CS6
    In order to pursue further innovations in image processing and workflow technology, the next release of Adobe Camera Raw (v 9.1.1) will be the final version available for use with CS6. Customers can utilize the free Adobe DNG Converter utility to receive the very latest camera support for CS6 and older versions of our software going all the way back to Photoshop CS1 and Lightroom 1.0.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/update-to-camera-support-policy-in-cs6.html

3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Not sure what this has to do with lightroom vs Olympus plugin, and which processes high-res RAW files out of the E-M5ii better? That's what I was asking about.

4. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I too read some comment about LR reading the high-res raw as 40MP, whereas DNG converter makes a 63MP file, but it doesn't seem to be true. I get a 63MP file both ways.

I suspect it was just some rumour that got into the grapevine....

5. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I think there's still confusing as to what I'm asking. I'm talking about how Lightroom vs the Olympus plugin handles the information as mentioned in the article I link in my original post.

Here's a quote from it. http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/0...-review/#High_Res_Shot_further_considerations

6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I know what you refer to, but I thought I would share my experiences in converting HRS files. As per the thread title. You said you were interested in re-processing HRS images different ways. But it now seems you are only interested in other people validating your and Mathieu Gasquet's observations on one specific conversion vs LR. I don't use PS so can't help you on that one.

I was about to mention what I have noticed with Adobe DNG Converter, and more options I have tried, but better not. Clearly OT.

7. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    Try DxO optics program - he have all lens database so I'am sure he is hi-res mode ready. Don't know why LR doesnt support Olympus optics and lens, LR have all but Olympus/Panasonic :(

8. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    From what I gathered in that article snippet, after the author outputted to a .jpg he noticed a difference in detail between the two applications. I'm not looking for someone to validate me or anything. I said I think I notice a difference but that could just be in my head. If you don't notice a difference, great. If you do, that's great too. I literally just asked people to share their experiences in dealing with the 64mp RAW in LR & Olympus PS plugin. And yes, I was only interested in one specific conversion vs LR because those are the applications I use, and the applications the article discuses specifically as well.

9. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Or it could simply be differences in the two applications' JPEG output. Actually, doing critical comparisons of two processing options by judging JPEG output is ludicrous. Compare TIFFs instead.

10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    This is OT, but Lr doesn't need its own m4/3 lens correction data since that data is embedded into the RAW file by the camera and Lr uses the data. It is only when non-native lenses are adapted to an m4/3 camera that you need have your converter apply its own corrections.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    How do I get both Raw and Jpeg in High Res mode? I set my camera to LF+Raw. But it only saves High Res Jpegs. Have I missed some setting?

Edit. OK I got it now. If you set Raw+JPG it throws you out of that mode when you activate Hi Res. You have to set it "again" once in high res mode. I had assumed it was one of their deep menu settings. But just use the SCP once in high res mode. Then save your Myset if you dont want to lose it.

Which brings me to my next question. How to use High res and bracketing at the same time? It seems not to be possible as it throws you out of High res mode when BKT is active.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    When you think about it, Hi-Res is one of your multi-shot modes. It takes about eight 16 MP photos. That is why you select it with the 'shooting' selector and not with the 'resolution' selector.

And that is why you cannot choose another multi-shot mode like BKT when you have already made your selection of multi-shot mode, Hi-Res.

Hope this helps.

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    So they chose not to allow BKT with high res for some reason. So we have to do it manually then. A pain if you want the best of the best.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Sure, I'm in agony.

The hobby's a joy, it's your delight, yes? Your camera's on a tripod. You want the best of the best -- so there's lots to consider. It's going to take a little while. A few extra seconds won't take all the pleasure out of it.

15. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Here is what I am finding. When you download pictures into LR and you have chosen RAW+ JPEG when you took your picture
    you can download either both or just the raw files. This is controlled by your LR preferences. If you photograph with HRS you are automatically locked out of many options such as BKT. No need to go for your hanky here. If you set your camera on JPEG+RAW you will get two HRS files. One is a 16 MPX file and the other is a 99 MPX file corresponding to JPEG or RAW. You do not need to take any of these files into Photoshop,but you can adjust them in Photoshop or DXO 10. I think the idea of using the Olympus processor is fine ,but since the HRS files are free of M,the files can be magnifies to gigantic proportions and you can do tremendous things with the sharpening tools.

l