E-M5, Zuiko ED 40-150, and Panasonic 4/3-u4/3 adapter compatability

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jaywtea, Feb 26, 2013.

1. jaywtea

jaywtea New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi folks,
    I just bought a new Zuiko ED 40-150 lens and a Panasonic DMW-MA1 4/3 lens to m4/3 camera adapter for my E-M5. The problem is, I'm hearing a clicking sound when I rotate the zoom. It clicks 7 or 8 times, depending on the direction. It sounded mechanical to me but I think it's actually electrical because: 1) it doesn't happen when the lens is off the camera, and 2) it doesn't happen when I'm in the setup menus. When I enter the menus, I hear a click, and then the lens is silent, then when I exit another click, and then the lens starts clicking again. I don't think the menu click and the lens clicks are coming from the same place. The menu click sounds like it's in the body and the lens click from right under the zoom ring.
    Initially I was hearing a little noise from the focus ring as well, but that stopped. Otherwise the rings rotate very smooth and quiet (off the camera).
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John T.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sounds like it's opening (or closing) the aperture blades to let in more or less light. That's typical behavior.

Incidentally, there is absolutely no functional difference between the Olympus, Panasonic and 3rd party adapters.

3. jaywtea

jaywtea New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks dhazeghi.
    That may be the case, but the 12-50mm kit lens doesn't click like this, and it does this in manual mode so the aperture should be fixed, no? (unless I'm really missing the boat on how this lens works)
    Hmm, there may be something I'm missing. I was just looking at a review and it gives distortion and vignetting info. for f/4-5.6, and then beyond to f/8 and f/11. And sample images at f/6.3. Sorry, my last camera was a Nikkormat Ftn, I gotta go find a clue...

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Are you talking about the Zuiko 40-150 that requires the DMW-MA1 adapter? If so, that's a noisy little lens. Yes, it clicks when you change the zoom. I believe it's the aperture blades keeping up with with the focal length. The focus motor is always working hard on that lens too and you will hear it. I just mounted the old Zuiko on my EM5, and yes, it does exactly like what you described.

The M.ED 40-150 on the other hand, is really quiet. It doesn't click on zooming.

So which lens have you got?

5. jaywtea

jaywtea New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    It's the former, the one that requires the DMW-MA1 adapter. At least I know that's it's not broken. I'm just a little surprised that I didn't see any references to it being a bit noisy in any of the searching I've been doing. I can imagine a lot of people having a big problem with that.
    Thanks for your help.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not too many people use the lens on m4/3 at this point. The native micro one has been available for quite a while, and it AFs much more quickly (and quietly).

I don't think any of the regular 4/3 lenses are that quiet on m4/3.

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The old 40-150 was the first lens I used on my EPL1 besides the 14-42 that came with it, It's likely as good or better than the M.ED version, just a lot slower to focus.

8. jaywtea

jaywtea New to Mu-43

Jun 10, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the help guys. For the price ($55) I'll deal with the slow AF and clicking. I just wasn't sure if I needed to send it back or not.

Cheers!