E-M5 won't keep time when changing battery?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zane73, Dec 4, 2013.

1. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    Anyone else have trouble with their E-M5 losing the date and time when changing out the battery? I purchased a reconditioned one a month ago and tonight when I swapped out the battery I had to set the time again. Anyone know of an easy fix for this? Or, will I have to send this in to Olympus to be fixed?

2. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
  3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's absolute BS that it has to be replaced by Oly. In Canons (at least the 8 I've owned) it's a user-accessible battery...a common CR2032 you can pick up just about anywhere for a couple of bucks and swap it out in 30 seconds!

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Just sent them a camera on 11-20. Got it back today.About two weeks then.

It was in the shop for two days. The rest was getting there and coming back. I used USPS to get there and did not pay for fast delivery on the return, so tit took six days to come back.

In your case which is warranty, maybe they will use a fast carrier on return.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I would say wait a bit. There have been several users who had to set the time the first couple times the battery is removed but after that it kept the time.

I'm guessing is that the batteries, being so small, don't hold a charge very long. And with the batteries being out of the camera, the small battery dies. And my theory is that with the big battery being in the camera for a long time and the camera is getting regular use, the small battery will gain enough power from the big battery to save time during the few hours there is not a battery in it. And if I'm wrong, so be it. But it's worked for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had that problem at first with my refurb em5 and it got better with time. I agree that the tiny batteries seem to pickup some charge over time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    I had this with my E-P3, first two times the time and date reset, then it was fine (and has been ever since). Make sure your main battery is fully charged before you put it back in. If you have a spare, charge that also and swap the two across when you have to charge one so that there's always a battery in the camera save the short few seconds it takes to swap them. I found after two charges the settings were kept fine. If you read the full maual (electronic pdf not the paper one they give you). You'll see that the internal battery only holds charge for about 24hours, so my guess is that the internal is not a cell battery, its a capacitor. Which is probably why Oly have to change it. Technically the advantage of this is that the capacitor should last the life of the camera, so no additonal cell batteries to buy, they're also easier to integrate into the electronics and take up less space than a cell; which in the case of the M43 cameras helps withthe small form factor.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire

Yea but it's not a Canon and not just Olympus does this some Nikons have non user replaceable battries not sure though of the newer Nikons. It is what it is.

9. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Exactly

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It does sound like a super capacitor. I can take out my battery for charging overnight (10 hours at least) without losing the date.

11. samanthamed

samanthamed New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Sam
    I had this issue at first with my E-PM1 when it was fresh out of the box, and I was impatient to test it out and had charged the battery for only 5-10 minutes. After I let the battery charge fully and left battery in the camera for a few hours, I didn't get the blank time/date prompt anymore (and haven't seen it since, either).

Definitely recommend letting a fully charged battery sit in the camera overnight and seeing if that fixes things before shipping the device off to be repaired!

12. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    Thanks for all the replies!

So, a quick update... the first battery I had in the camera was a fully charged Wasabi. I swapped it with another fully charged Wasabi, this is when I noticed the time/date reset. Since then I've swapped in a fully charged Olympus battery, set the time/date, took several pictures and then let the camera sit with this battery for 24 hours. I just popped this battery out for less than 30 seconds and the clock lost its setting. I'll keep using the camera until after Christmas to see if it gets better like some have suggested, but I'm afraid this will end up having to be sent to Olympus for repair. A bit frustrating, but I guess we all get a lemon sometimes.

13. zane73

zane73 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Pilot Mnt, NC
    Patrick
    Update: I used the camera quite a bit over the holidays, and it is still losing the time/date information if the battery is removed for only a few seconds.

So..., I just finished submitting my warranty repair request on the Olympus website, and will be shipping the camera to the Olympus repair center in Enfield, CT. :frown:

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sad to hear, but at least they'll fix it. I guess they forgot to check the backup cell when they reconditioned it.