E-M5 with Grip - what bag are you using?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by artsifrtsy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    I have found the grip indispensable on my E-M5. But I'm finding that my beloved Domke 803 is too narrow once I add the portrait portion of the grip. I like the waxed cotton on the Domke, the pockets - everything except that it is just too narrow. I carry the Panny 100-300, 12-50, PL25, and PL45 in my kit. I like being able to toss my iPad in when I'm traveling.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
  2. mango

mango Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    I don't like the bag that just "fit", since I have OM D as working camera so I need to put the whole camera system (body w/ full grip, 3-4 lens, FL-600R flash and some chargers), a notebook, some papers or even some books so the bag I use is ThinkTank UD-50 that can do this job well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Most of the other Domkes appear to be slightly deeper (F5XB or F5XC) and not a whole lot bigger. There's always ThinkTank's Retrospective 7, which is sized specifically to fit and iPad and is deep enough to hold a full frame DSLR (so a gripped E-M5 should be no problem at all).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    Look in the LowePro Stealth Reporter range.
    I use the 100, but with ipad maybe you need 200 or 300.
    The OMD + grip fits nicely in the 100

• Like Like x 1
  5. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
  6. sloppyjoe123

sloppyjoe123 New to Mu-43

Aug 11, 2012
    I use the Billingham Hadley Small Black. Awesome bag! :B Costly but. it looks totally like a very very stylish man bag, and holds quite a bit of stuff.

Here's mine:
    Compartment 1
    OM-D with grip (I dont usually use the portrait tbh, but it fits rather snugly)
    With any of the lens I have: PanaLeica 25mm f1.4/14mm f2.5/Oly 45mm 1.8
    You have to make sure that the camera compartment will need to be able to store the camera body with the biggest of your lens, people seem to forget that and configure their space for a smaller lens, and when they put on their biggest lens, it doesnt fit
    The biggest lens in this case is my 25mm f1.4. Btw, this is with my EM-5 sideways, the EM-5 will fit with a HUGE Nokton 25mm 0.95 with the lens pointing down.

Compartment 2
    lens with vertical compartments: 25mm f1.4 / 14mm f2.5 / 45mm f1.8 (The top 2 compartments), bottom compartment: EM-5 flash

Compartment 3
    Fuji X100

Compartment between the insert bag and the bag
    You can fit a iPad in here. I fit a notebook and my maps here.

Front pockets

1st pocket: ND filter, SD cards, lens cleaning paper, Batteries for X100 (2) and EM-5 (2)

2nd pocket: Wallet, Handphone, iPod, earpiece. (Yes, the front pockets are bigger than you think!

And the bag really is quite compact. and comfortable. And the styling and Build is really Billingham :p Or you can even get one of those quick access pouch for the strap to store some batteries.
  7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    +1 on the Hadley Small. E-M5, O9-18, P20, O45, O40-150, lots of odds and ends, including a Manfrotto table-top tripod with Novoflex ballhead. If I really try, my X100 fits as well :)
  8. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Had a Domke F5XB for my OM-D which was too small with the grip. Picked the Thinktank Retrospective 7 and its great. Got a gripped OM-D with the Panasonic 100-300mm attached and the PL 45mm on one side and the PL25mm and Oly 12mm on the other side.
  9. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    I, too am looking for a bag to fit a gripped (only landscape) em5 and 3 lenses (probably 100-300, 20 and 12-50). Both the Billingham and thinktank bags look great. They both say they have room for a ipad or 11' macbook. Can anyone with these bags tell me if you can squeeze in a 13' ultrabook, roughly the same size as a macbook air?
  10. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    I stopped being so lazy and did some googling. For anybody else interested the answer is no, they will not fit. You would have to go to a large hadley bag.
  11. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Iv been considering this bag, would you mind taking some pictures or doing a video of it?

I would really like to put it into perspective size wise .

I wish Domke would take more pictures and make videos about their products. The qualit is great, but It's hard to find the right size.
  12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I just got the ThinkTank Retrospective 7. The back pocket takes the iPad easily, and is claimed to take an 11" MacBook Air so there is a bit of spare room around the iPad, probably enough to accommodate any case you want to keep it in.

I have the E-M5 and grip and it solved one of my problems, carrying the camera with PL25 attached. The camera will fit, camera back towards the rear of the bag and lens pointing to the front, provided I remove the lens hood from the PL25. The bag is tall enough to accommodate the camera with portrait grip mounted.

I haven't tried it but at present I've got the camera in it with landscape grip only. There is a bit of spare room with the landscape grip only if the base is towards the rear of the bag and the top of the camera is towards the front of the bag so I suspect the camera would fit that way with the portrait grip mounted as well so you might be able to accommodate a longer lens. I think what you could manage with the camera in this position would depend on what you stick in the front pockets and how that restricts the ability of the front of the bag to "bulge" a bit.

I'm very happy with the Retrospective 7.