E-M5 wear and tear

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Nov 23, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Has anybody else found the E-M5 unusually susceptible to wear and tear?

I certainly don't baby my gear, but neither do I abuse it, and in a little over a year of light to medium use, two of the camera's buttons have completely lost their labeling (the 'delete' button and the 'on/off' switch) and there is substantial scoring and paint loss around the base plate (even though the camera has barely been on a tripod). It's not a big deal all things considered, but it will definitely hurt the camera's resale value if/when I decide to upgrade. It's also a bit disheartening since my far-more-heavily-used E-420 was comparably pristine at twice the age.

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yep. Besides the paint wearing issues, the On/Off switch became stiffer to operate after 15 months of use as compared to a new E-M5. My well used E-PL1 has had no wear and tear issues. Neither camera has let me down functionally, however.

3. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    The paint certainly seems to be less durable than what I'm used to.

4. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's no indentation to paint. It's true that everything shows signs of use eventually, but the speed and degree with the E-M5 is surprising me. As I said, I had an Olympus E-420 that traveled everywhere for more than 2 years, and aside from a rub mark on the base plate looked pristine. I've not suddenly changed my gear-handling practices and the E-M5 has had a much easier life, but you wouldn't know that from looking at it!

Well, I'm not sure it's that easy, but I certainly agree about the second point. Ordinarily I don't care too much about cosmetics, but for stuff that's going to get re-sold (and digital cameras usually fit in that category), it becomes an issue.

6. I think that the paint finish sucks, or to be more correct I think that the design of a metal body with such sharp angles is not conducive to a long-lasting paint finish and that the strap lugs should not have been allowed to articulate far enough so that they rub against the body and wear the paint away. Unfortunately in designing a camera body to reflect the looks from the "good old days" it is often forgotten that some of those design elements were done away with for very good reasons. The textured paint finish on the new E-M1 looks to be more rugged but the same sharp edges in the design are still there.

The finish on my buttons are all perfect, however. In terms of usage mine was fairly modest until I took the camera travelling for almost six months which took me to 10500 shutter releases, and a lot of those include me playing back the image and zooming in to check critical focus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm with you. People talk about how rugged the EM-5, but I've never felt that way. I've always felt that it was actually a rather delicate bit of kit. The top dials have been known to come off, the eyecup really wants to pop off when I wear it on a sling. And I shudder to think about the camera taking a little knock on the bottom back left corner; if it does, I just know the LCD/touchscreen panel is toast (actually, one main reason I want to get a J.B. grip is that it would protect the LCD tilt assembly). Oh yeah, and the cracked bezel thing...

My EM-5 has done fairly well. One very minor bump on pavement scuffed or slightly chipped the silver paint on the side edge. And I see a paint chip on the black trim just above the grip.

It's not a big deal, but I definitely consider it to be a somewhat delicate camera.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think you really have to separate "rugged" from "shows wear and tear". I don't beat on any of my gear, but I'm not afraid of a scuff or a scratch either. I don't worry too much about how the paint holds up or whatever. While I haven't dropped or otherwise abused my E-M5, I don't recall reading much about unusual damage. Maybe a couple of shattered screens? Anyway, I wouldn't characterize the E-M5 as physically rugged. It has the weather/dust sealing, which part of being rugged, but it doesn't have the feel of a DSLR that you can hammer nails with.

Dara, between this thread and the one about the on/off switch I have to wonder if the E-M5 has simply worn out it's welcome with you. May be time for another camera?

9. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Bummer. That's disappointing. I expect higher-end equipment to wear better than that.

10. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    I'm a little bummed that the rubber pieces are all falling off of the detachable grip I bought for my E-M5 a little over a year ago. I'm debating ripping them all off and regluing myself but I think that's ridiculous that I have to

11. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    i had the paint issue also the okay button's paint is fading

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is that the HLD-6 grip? We're talking about the original camera and accessories I think.

13. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    The E-M5 is tough, but certainly not indestructible. Had my first one just over a year, during which time it gained paint rub and some scratches on the base from contact with the tripod plate. However, it also survived falling into a pool of dirty water during one urbex shoot (it didn't fully submerge as I still had it in my hand, and exposure was brief, for less than a second or two). The Panasonic lens attached didn't fare so well however. The 7-14 was toast for a few days afterwards, until it miraculously dried out, saving me paying another 90,000 yen for a new one.

The E-M5 finally got a crippling wallop during a drive one day. Had it on the back seat of the car and broke suddenly, where it fell off the seat and impacted with my tripod on the floor. The touchscreen shattered (but still worked, including the touch ability!) I sent it to Olympus to see if they could fix it, and they discovered the stablisation unit was damaged and wanted half the price of a new model to repair it. I needed the camera for a once-in-a-lifetime shoot not long after though, so I bit the bullet and purchased a new E-M5. My old model still works though, and if I could get the screen replaced for a low cost, it would be a fine camera even without IBIS.

Anyone know of cheap replacement screens and the methods for doing it?

On another note, has anybody ever had a problem with the E-M5 not turning on? Sometimes I have to remove and replace the battery before it will power up.

14. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    After I read reports of the E-M5 taking some falls in a bag and surviving, I thought "well, that's good enough" for myself*. I'm not a pro that can write my equipment off and I generally try not to abuse my camera or lenses. However:
    If we look at the Nikon D700 vs D800, the D800 dies from a drop where the casting shatters and the internals go kaput. The D700 would of bounced and kept working. There might be a whole "lowering of expectations" going on here with recent camera releases, or at least on Nikon's part with the D600/D800E strategy. I haven't read into anything about the E-M1 since I haven't done that much research on it since I don't plan on upgrading to it.

Still, Olympus could of improved the durability of the paint. It seems to scuff far too easily and early production E-M5 had insane issues like the paint just coming right off.

*Compared to a D200 this is more than enough durability.

All of the above is my opinion that I formed by gathering some reports. That is all
    http://www.bythom.com/photographic-...13-workshop-blog/the-measure-of-a-safari.html

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A.HTM

15. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That is pretty miraculous!

I've seen this occasionally with my third party batteries. My guess is that the contacts of the battery aren't quite lining up correctly, but I don't know for sure. It's rare enough that I haven't tried to investigate further.

16. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Is the paint wear issue a problem with the black version, or is the silver also affected?

17. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    The E- series cameras were much more durable than the E-p's. I've had the E-p1,2,3, and I treat them with great care. The top and bottom plates are very thin and the aluminium and stainless is very easy to scratch/scuff. They are great little cameras, but not very adept at shrugging off visual blemishes.

18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Mine's fairing pretty well (6 months, 5,000+ actuations, it's seen Japan 3x, all over Korea, Switzerland, rest of Europe, etc), but I do take care of my equipment.

However...I'm very disappointed in the way the strap lugs are designed...the paint started wearing off around them in no time flat!

Oh...and might as well add the dang viewfinder surround in this as well...I've already lost one somewhere in the Swiss Alps, and the replacement one is constantly making escape attempts. I carry all of my cameras the same way, and this has never been an issue with the 100+ cameras I've owned...until the OM-D. :p

19. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I felt my em5 was about to wear out from my not at all pro, but rather enthusiastic use. It did not wear out, but I saw the signs. Slightly looser knobs, softer buttons, more so than I expected. It could not be my main shooter and retain a resale-value. I miss it now i sold it though. Would make a great casual/social/backup body. I have sold quite a few in my store, and i know my customers are very happy. Most of them are casual but enthusiastic shutterbugs.

A quick tip regarding strap-lugs: Gordy's camerastraps come with small key-chain like rings and optional o-rings. They are neater, quieter, not poking into the space between my fingers, and do not wear the paint off:) I'm sure similar stuff can be found in a hardwearstore.

Patrick K

20. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    I use the Black Rapid straps. They screw into the tripod hole. Very secure and no problem with scrapping.

• Like Like x 2