E-M5 w/ RC flash - slow burst rate?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vinay, May 3, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    With an RC flash, I noticed my E-P3 burst rate dropped from 3fps to less than 1fps. Since the off-camera flash has it's own batteries, perhaps the camera burst rate was being affected by the time spent recharging the capacitor used to power the built-in flash.

Does the E-M5 take a similar significant hit to burst rate when the provided baby controller is used to trigger an RC flash?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It probably would, but the FL-600R does have Remote Commander capabilities so maybe that would help to use a 4-battery external flash instead?

I'm kind of guessing though that the time needed to send the RC signals is probably what's causing the drop. I doubt using a different flash would help, but you could try. I personally wouldn't want to use RC and burst together, or any type of TTL for that matter. ;) 

Another thing you might try is a hotshoe flash or direct wired or radio triggered flash rather than the Remote Commander. The Remote Commander has to send a bunch of signals first before the flash is fired. Even hotshoe mounted TTL still uses a pre-flash though so that won't help much either unless you go manual and ditch the TTL.

3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    TTL alone drops the E-P3 to about 2fps, the combination of RC and TTL to less than 1fps. So yes, probably a combination of RC signal sending + TTL calculation time.

In fast paced situations, I keep my cameras on burst w/ TTL and take 2-shots together to avoid blinkey eyes or weird expressions. I tried to do this with wireless TTL because of the 300R's lack of backwards bounce. I'll use a bounce card for now, but a 600R would definitely be more suited for certain occasions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.