1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 w/ RC flash - slow burst rate?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vinay, May 3, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    With an RC flash, I noticed my E-P3 burst rate dropped from 3fps to less than 1fps. Since the off-camera flash has it's own batteries, perhaps the camera burst rate was being affected by the time spent recharging the capacitor used to power the built-in flash.

Does the E-M5 take a similar significant hit to burst rate when the provided baby controller is used to trigger an RC flash?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It probably would, but the FL-600R does have Remote Commander capabilities so maybe that would help to use a 4-battery external flash instead?

I'm kind of guessing though that the time needed to send the RC signals is probably what's causing the drop. I doubt using a different flash would help, but you could try. I personally wouldn't want to use RC and burst together, or any type of TTL for that matter. ;)

Another thing you might try is a hotshoe flash or direct wired or radio triggered flash rather than the Remote Commander. The Remote Commander has to send a bunch of signals first before the flash is fired. Even hotshoe mounted TTL still uses a pre-flash though so that won't help much either unless you go manual and ditch the TTL.

3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    TTL alone drops the E-P3 to about 2fps, the combination of RC and TTL to less than 1fps. So yes, probably a combination of RC signal sending + TTL calculation time.

In fast paced situations, I keep my cameras on burst w/ TTL and take 2-shots together to avoid blinkey eyes or weird expressions. I tried to do this with wireless TTL because of the 300R's lack of backwards bounce. I'll use a bounce card for now, but a 600R would definitely be more suited for certain occasions.