E-M5 vs Samsung NX500?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by memzinla, Dec 10, 2015.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Has anyone with an Olympus OM-D camera tried a Samsung NX500? How was it? DO you like the Samsung camera?
  2. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Samsung is rumored to shut down their nex series.
    Off topic, but important imo.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    Many are interested to know how Samsung performs but few has tried. Perhaps you could PM NX owners in this thread.

I've always lusted for the NX 85 1.4, 16-50 2.0-2.8, and that old 20-50 3.5-5.6 kit lens looks good too. As an owner of the NX mini, I've found Samsung to be very serious about photography.
  4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    It's quite affordable mirrorless-APSC system. The lenses weren't expensive and the result also good. WB tend a bit little blueish but not as fatal as Fuji.

But then again, APSC is bigger sensor which means bigger lenses. Also Nikon just acquired Samsung NX. I suggest don't invest it now since the NX's future still unclear

Nikon Acquired Samsung's Mirrorless Tech: Report
  5. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    You can get an nx30 for 2 thirds less than new price on ebay..now Samsung sold em up the river!
    I for one am very tempted...had a play at my local dealers a while back and with the right lenses...Superb!..also had an nx11 and nx200 with the 30mm f2 ...easily matched any m4/3 with primes.
    Right now even a nx20 dslr style with very good 18-55 can be had for less than g6...approx. £200 or there abouts used.
  6. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm so tempted because it seems to have many features, and it has lens I want. I would want the 16 F2.4 and 30 F2. I haven't seen the NX500 anywhere to try it out though.
  7. scott rawson

scott rawson Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    west yorks
    I haven't played with nx500 but assume its latest greatest nx300 (which was very good) as for the lenses tiny and both optically fantastic.
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My girlfriend has an NX210, which is a very nice camera when paired with the 30mm.

While I'm not sure they're going to continue with it, as per the rumours, in my opinion the Samsung NX system is better than any other mirrorless system besides M4/3. Their lenses are far more affordable than Fuji, the system is far more complete than Sony, and they understand modern interface design and the importance of touch-screens.

The NX500 is a bit disappointing, though, because it was so close to being something great. I feel like they made the NX1 and NX500 on polar opposites of the spectrum and forgot to put something in the middle. The NX500 could badly use an EVF, and unfortunately its 4K video feature is a bit of a gimmick because it has a 2.4x crop factor, whereas all their lenses are designed for 1.5x crop. So it's almost impossible to find a decent wide angle. Any kit lens, or even the very expensive 16-50/f2 ends up as a 39mm equivalent lens at the widest. The only option is the slow 12-24 ultrawide, which means you're using a totally different lens for stills as for video. Not unworkable, but annoying.

Still, if you don't shoot a ton of video and are happy without an EVF, the NX500 will give you the best image quality of any body under $1500.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The GH4 also has a 2.4x crop factor, but since the lenses are based around a 2x crop factor it is not so bad.

I don't think there's a better sensor aside from Sony FF, but the lack of even an add on EVF option I think is the real killer.

To be honest, I think Samsung may even have a more attractive lineup than m4/3 for many people. Lots of cheap pancakes! AF fisheye pancake. Big pro-caliber zooms (the standard zoom starts at f2!). Big fat bokeh machine portrait prime in the 85mm f1.4. The Samyang 12mm is actually UWA at 18mm equivalent on Samsung.

I was honestly tempted to go Samsung when I picked m4/3, but sadly I couldn't find a camera I loved. The NX1 is just too much and too big. Everything else seems stripped down or has no EVF. If they had a GX7 or Fuji XE-2 clone, I may have picked them.
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I downloaded some raw files from the NX1. The noise handling and DR is quite stunning. It's a pity that Oly doesn't go to them for sensors. A 4/3 BSI sensor made from the same stuff as their NX1 APSC one would be a real winner IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm currently on a budget, and I'm having a hard time choosing a camera. I've been thinking about the E-M5 again, G7, or NX500.

I know I love the E-M5, but always sell it because I want good video. I end up coming back to it because I love the image quality, weather sealing, and IBIS. I can take sharp one second pictures! I've had too many of these. Haha

I got to try the G7, and I like most of it. It has so many features, but I think I got used to the E-M5 body. The G7 feels cheap. I love how fast the buttons and menus are. Another thing that bugged me was that I couldn't get the colors close to what I like. Lips always have a weird tone. :/

I've never tried the NX500, but image quality looks really good. I'm just a little worried because of the 4K crop. I usually prefer wide.

Any other camera I should consider?
  12. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I used the nx300 for a while and it was very good at many things. The 16+30 primes are tiny & talented, and the 20Mpx sensor was quite good. I had to let the stuff go in a budget crisis. I cannot speak to Olympus bodies to compare though.
  13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
  14. biz91

biz91 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2015
    For two year I own a NX1000. NX system is good, but there are few lens and no viewfinder. I bought a EM10 for the micro 4/3 lens system, viewfinder and easy compatibility with vintage lens.