E-M5 vs. Oly 75

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, May 20, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I've been looking at the E-M5 since the prices have been dropping. Given that I have the E-PL5 and the VF-2, however, I truly know my photography would benefit far more from buying the 75 than the gain the 5 axis IBIS would give. This is an old problem for me. I know lenses are a far better investment but the lure of the new "camera" is irresistible. I suspect my sensible side will win out, however, and I'll get a new Ricoh GR. :doh:
  2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Another thing to consider is the 75/1.8 is always going to cost about what it does now, whereas in a year the E-M5 will be available at half the current price.

I keep ogling the GR myself, but then I realize I have a RX100 I hardly ever use and so there is no reason to suspect life would be any different with the GR. In fact, as far as almost everything goes the RX100 lens at wide angle is the same as the GR (though the GR corners would certainly be sharper).

Anyway - one should also consider hobbies aren't about "investment" either. So if your mind is telling you one thing and your heart the other perhaps a hobby is the one case in which letting the heart win is an easy choice.
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I have an E-M5. I read all the rave reviews of the 75mm and tried to ignore them, since I rarely shoot above 40-50.

But then I saw a good deal in the UK (I live in Germany), and succumbed. I reasoned I could sell it with no loss if I wasn't happy.

I am now officially a convert/fan/advocate/whatever! This lens is addictive and makes you see the world differently.

Try it: you'll like it :)
  4. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I'd get the 75mm. New lenses always help me like my camera body more. I don't have the 75mm, but everyone says it is magical.
  5. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    A good deal in the UK? First time I've heard that phrase used anywhere!! :rolleyes:
  6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    The 75mm is an addictive lens; provided you'll be shooting at this focal lenght a lot. I got it mainly for portrait shooting but I have found it irresistible for almost any type of shooting where space permits its use.

I'd definitely get the 75 over an OMD at this point in time, if I had the E-PL5. IQ will be the same, if you exclude IBIS advantages. I'd just save a few more bills perhaps for a fatter handgrip for the Pen, since it would help with the shooting experience (it's a heavy and bulky lens for :43: standards, esp. with hood attached, I rarely use it on the OMD without the front grip).
  7. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I shot a comedy show and wartime re-enactment and the 75mm figured prominently in both. When you use the lens some, it becomes more than the portrait lens that it's been characterized.
  8. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    +1. This lens is extremely sharp and can handle aggressive cropping -- perfect for concerts and recitals. :biggrin:
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Well there you have it.

Ok let's be honest here. If you just want a new toy to play with, buy the camera. But if you truly want to improve as a photographer, buy the lens.
  10. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Since you have the EPL5 which is almost like the EM5 in many of its bells and whistles, the 75mm is the way to go. Good luck!
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks folks. I needed a few more sensible arguments. Wayward GAS is a harsh mistress.