1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M5 vs NEX C3 initial test and impressions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 16, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Small preview of my weekend test.

C3 was using a Sigma 19mm, E-M5 was using the Panny 14-45.

Shot it under exposed. Boosted exposure +2.0 and shadows +100 in LR4.

The comparison with the NEX-7 should be a lot more fun but resizing and doing all that is a bit of a pain.

RAW on both of course.

However, I'm very surprised how well the E-M5 did here in this made up torture test. In the past, this sort of torture test would have had MFT fall on it's face. The C3 retains a bit more shadow detail but the E-M5 isn't terrible here either.

In the normally exposed file, the E-M5 seems to have a weaker AA filter and has overall a bit more detail than the C3. I'm not 100% sure if that has to with funkiness from the difference in aspect ratio however.

Will be doing a lot more tests.

[​IMG]

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You do realise that shooting underexposed loses detail in the shadows. That doesn't seem a reasonable approach to take with either camera for me, and it makes me wonder what both could have been capable of with that scene. I can understand shooting both underexposed if you wanted to find out how they each handled underexposure but I don't think this comparison tells me much about how either manages when shot with correct exposure.

3. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, the idea is to see given extreme circumstances which sensor is holding on to the most range.

This sort of test and a test of the other end, the highlight range, gives you an idea of how well a sensor can take post adjustments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.