1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 vs NEX C3 initial test and impressions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 16, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Small preview of my weekend test.

C3 was using a Sigma 19mm, E-M5 was using the Panny 14-45.

Shot it under exposed. Boosted exposure +2.0 and shadows +100 in LR4.

The comparison with the NEX-7 should be a lot more fun but resizing and doing all that is a bit of a pain.

RAW on both of course.

However, I'm very surprised how well the E-M5 did here in this made up torture test. In the past, this sort of torture test would have had MFT fall on it's face. The C3 retains a bit more shadow detail but the E-M5 isn't terrible here either.

In the normally exposed file, the E-M5 seems to have a weaker AA filter and has overall a bit more detail than the C3. I'm not 100% sure if that has to with funkiness from the difference in aspect ratio however.

Will be doing a lot more tests.

[​IMG]

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You do realise that shooting underexposed loses detail in the shadows. That doesn't seem a reasonable approach to take with either camera for me, and it makes me wonder what both could have been capable of with that scene. I can understand shooting both underexposed if you wanted to find out how they each handled underexposure but I don't think this comparison tells me much about how either manages when shot with correct exposure.

3. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, the idea is to see given extreme circumstances which sensor is holding on to the most range.

This sort of test and a test of the other end, the highlight range, gives you an idea of how well a sensor can take post adjustments.