1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 vs. E-P3: JPEG Image Quality @ Pekka Potka

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Feb 29, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 6
  2. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am still feeling good about this preorder :smile:

3. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    You pre-ordered it?

I just sold my E-P3 to switch over to the OM-D!

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Me too .... other than the waiting. :rolleyes:

5. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I did the pre-order fairly early, but decided to keep my E-P3 too (worth more to me than resale value).

6. Impressive results, it seems. Differences in noise and resolution aside, I'm intrigued that the E-P3 is never recording anything that comes close to a true black. Hyperactive gradation setting, maybe?

7. nueces snapper

This is going to double the quality ...

of my bird shots as I usually have to shoot at iso 800 due to my Oly 75/300 lens. Literally. The iso 800 test shot for the EM5 is twice as good as the EP3.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Gee that looks alright hey?

*note to self - you do not need an E-M5 (repeat 36 times while admiring GH2)*

9. nueces snapper

hmmmm good point. Maybe I shouldn't get euphoric just yet. :tongue:

10. I still think it looks very good for the E-M5, just interesting that virtually jpeg processing setting was turned down (colour, sharpness, contrast, NR) except for gradation, whose function is to draw out detail in shadows by bringing the exposure up and extracting extra (very noisy) detail. At the very least it shows that on the E-M5 it may be worthwhile leaving the gradation turned on.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Wait, I thought "normal" on gradation meant off.... trying to find my manual.

12. Actually, I think you're right. A simple OFF would have made much more sense. I remain mystified why the E-P3 samples look like they do.

P.S. Speaking of off, so to speak, do you reckon the E-M5 Noise reduction is set to OFF, or to "OFF :wink:"

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Yeah, it does look like normal means off and, yes, this is confusing to me still.

I think you do have a good call on the black levels... something is going on there with the E-P3. :confused:

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for sharing this very good review, Kyle.

I am now sold that the performance of the E-M5 is worth the upgrade over the E-P3... unfortunately, I still like the form factor of the E-P3 better, and the flexibility of the removable viewfinder, since I prefer looking down into the EVF rather than straight ahead. Well, let's see if I can resist buying the E-M5 until the next PEN comes out, and compare the 2...

15. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think the same way as you about the form factor. I prefer the smaller size of the E-P3, am okay with the modular/removable viewfinder and, now that you mention it, I do think that when I do use my viewfinder, it is mostly tilted up.

But... they are going to kill me with the timing here. Too much marketing pressure, not enough willpower.

16. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Blacks in E-P3 shots

Pekka addressed my question on this topic:

Tom: All test shots have gone through automatic normalization which sets certain amount of lowest values of darkest channel to zero. In E-P3 shots (look ISO 200) you can see black outline between white and black. Anything stronger than what I did would start losing detail in shadows. So I left corrections as they are. You can go on and make the greyscale gradations equal if you want, now it´s possible... ;-)
    -p-

I guess the darkest grey bar is not the blackest black in the image...

• Like Like x 3