1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M5 vs E-M10II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pake, Dec 22, 2015.

1. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I have been thinking about this way too much lately. For some stupid/strange reason I think I need to upgrade my old E-M5 to a newer, better model. The things I'm after are:
    - better auto focus (AFC in video, tracking)
    - better video
    - focus peaking while shooting video
    - better IBIS
    - Live Composite
    - High Res -mode
    - better image quality

Well, clearly the last one is only wishful thinking and won't happen unless I wait for E-M1II. But that one will most likely be too big (and ugly) for me and will probably have that unbearable swivel screen too. So --> no buy.

E-M5II is also off my list because of the swivel screen. That leaves me with only one option: E-M10II. But there are some things why I'm hesitating:

- IBIS. Olympus specs sheets claim E-M5 has better IBIS. Robin Wong claims E-M10II has better. What does UNBIASED (you) people say? Which one has better IBIS?

- Battery life. Is the difference noticeable? I can shoot close to 500 images with my E-M5 with one battery and when traveling I think I need to switch batteries perhaps every other day. Will that change with E-M10II?

- Weathersealing. I was shooting in -10C a couple of nights ago with my E-M5 which has no problems with those temperatures. How about E-M10II? How much rain does it take - if any? Weathersealing is probably one thing I can live without since I have insurance and will use it if something would happen to my camera.

- No High Res. One can hope Olympus would bring this to E-M10II one day (I'd settle for a 4 image / 30-40Mpx RAW version).

What do you guys think about the IBIS, battery life and weathersealing? Would I regret switching to E-M10II regarding those things?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I was dead set against the E-M5 mkII also because of the swivel screen. But after trying the E-M10 mkII I found the thumb rest uncomfortable, it's wider and a little closer in on the body. In the end I ended up getting the E-M5 mkII. It's also the only one that checks off the most of the items on your list. I really do wish it had a tilt screen, but I spent time shooting the GM1/GM5/LX100 and realized that I really didn't miss it that much when shooting it. And I do like the option of storing the camera screen turned in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I've had both the E-M10 and E-M10 II, and now the E-M5 II. Spec-wise the 10-II fares pretty well against the 5 -II, but in handling, I sure could feel the difference, just the added function buttons has been a great advantage. I'm not a big fan of the full articulating screen but have not really missed the tilt much. I also Do Not miss the touch focusing of the 10-II, I was always moving the focus point with my nose, grrrrr.... and contrary to popular belief, there is no way to permanently disable it, at least I never found it; one double touch on the screen and back it comes.

Now, compared to original E-M 10, both are a big jump up in my opinion, Just the addition of adding the 0 sec. anti shock feature to burst shooting in the E-M10 II, and the better EVF is enough to warrant the price difference, IMO.

Image IQ is pretty much on par, but I think the newer firmware of the 10-II and certainly the 5 II does make a slight difference, particularly with Super Fine Jpgs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The High-Res mode of the E-M5II requires the high position precision of the IBIS hardware used in that camera. If the E-M10II doesn't have equivalent IBIS hardware, then it may not be possible to add it in firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have made my peace with the swivel screen. The big advantage for me is that I swing it out to look at it but then close it inward, protected, while I use the EVF. I've come to really like this and I don't keep hitting the damn touch screen.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Amen to that !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    I find the dials not comfortable on EM10 mark II although it's a great camera. The interesting is the stacking feature. Useful for macro or product shooter.

Prefer EM5 mark II instead but still waiting for the reasonable price. Will wait for another one or two years till the price is dropping enough.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Thanks for the comments! The thing is that I shoot a lot from the waist level and tilt screen is a must. And the swivel version is way too bulky, wide, uncomfortable etc and I'd rather keep my E-M5 forever than switch to swivel.

BTW, the first thing I did with my E-M5 was: disable the touch screen. That's probably what I'd do with E-M10II as well if I'd bought it.

Any thoughts on the missing weathersealing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 211Oakland

211Oakland Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2014
    I have an E-M10, and bought it instead of the M5 although I looked hard at weathersealing. Subsequently I got a Pentax K-50 (weathersealed) to use, and sad to say but frequently that K-50 goes with me instead of the M10 because of the weathersealing. I didn't think it would be as useful as it has, and I live in California, where we're coming off (I hope) a four-year drought. That's how I discovered weathersealing is for more than rain, dust too. I just went out on a hike and got caught in some drizzly drippy forest; not enough rain to prevent photos, and in fact it gave some nice effects, but the drip and such soaked the K-50. I would have turned back with the M10, or left it in the bag.

I was thinking kinda as you are: like it getting wet would be an accident, and I could deal with that. But that's not really the criteria; it's all those days with marginal precipitation, drippy conditions, lots of dust, etc where you might want to shoot but will decide not to because of the weather. These aren't underwater cameras, to be sure, but they can take a lot. Check out this Pentax video; if anything I'd bet the M5 is just as capable:

• Like Like x 1
  10. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    I started my m43 journey with an Olympus EPL5, then upgraded to the EM-5 mainly for the EVF and superior IBIS. I quickly sold it and bought an EM10II (my current camera). Here are my random thoughts:

All olympus cameras since the EM5 have used the same 16mpx Sony sensor (except the EM1), so all have identical image quality. You won't get better images.

Sold the EM5 due to the terrible OLED backscreen, which was low res and impossible to see in daylight. EM10IIs LCD is a huge upgrade.

EM10IIs EVF is higher res (no more jagged lines) and easier to view (on EM5 used to get rainbow patterns around the edges). EM5's is more accurate regarding colour though, the EM10II's EVF is OLED and a little too contrasty.

EM-5 is heavier and more robust. It feels solid like it won't break. EM10II is light and mostly made of plastic; feels flimsy. Grip is about the same.

Controls are better on the EM10II. Hated the dials on the EM5, could never use the back one with my eye to the viewfinder. You need to try it for yourself though.

I can't comment on battery life as I don't usually use my until empty, but yes i think battery life on the EM10II will be reduced, as it's smaller capacity (same battery as the EPL5). You can just carry a spare.

I though the 5 axis IBIS of the two cameras was identical? EM5II gets the slightly-better upgraded system. Haven't noticed any difference in real world use.

Video on the EM10II is great, worth the upgrade.

Prefer magnify with manual lenses, but have tried focus peaking to quickly focus on my moving babies eyes, and it worked; so focus peaking is nice to have.

Weather sealing; Thought I'd never use it, but then ended up using my EM5 3 times in the rain. That said it would be a nice bonus but don't really care about losing it as only one of my lenses is weather sealed, and all the pics came out gray and dark. Cold temperatures could be a real issue, if you go out in the cold alot stick to the EM5.

Can't think of anything more; if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

EDIT: EM10II has an electronic shutter! Great to be able to take photos at 1/16000 in bright daylight with a wide-open prime. Also anti-shock setting; i used to get a little shutter shock with the EM5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. ultimoamore

ultimoamore New to Mu-43

Dec 9, 2015
    Is this true? There's no way to disable the touch focus point selection in the LCD with the E-M10 II ???
    Same as the OP, I'm looking at "upgrading" my M5 to M10 II and not M5 II mostly because I don't like the swivel LCD. But if the M10 is even worse because it can't be disabled...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    After a change of heart I have bought an EM10 ii ( had an EM5 ii)
    I like the ability to use the ECG3 grip on the 10 ii which allows the camera to be changed from gripped to non gripped in seconds so that I can use it as a large jacket pocketable camera without with a pancake (I don't like the HLD8 grip on the EM5 ii and the ECG 2 was a great grip when fitted but was not able to be removed as quickly
    The M10 1 and 11 are more versatile for me because of these quick release grips
    I am a left eye shooter and find that with my thumb on the rear thumb rest my nose rests on my thumb whilst using the target pad and am able to use it fine
    I am pretty sure that the touchscreen can be disabled like the EM5 with an icon on the screen which scrolls through touch to focus and touch to trigger shutter and off - I will check later
    The EVF is better on the 5 ii - slightly bigger view and no slight 'tunnel' effect looking through the EVF - whereby you can see some of the internal structure of the EVF (circular edges of the internal assembly) - but this is a very minor issue which you won't notice unless you are comparing directly to a 5 ii
    Regards
    Rob

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. tactonom

tactonom New to Mu-43

Dec 28, 2015
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi there, am also thinking of a backup body for my EM5 ii. Got just today an EM10ii for 24 hours to try out. At the first glance I have the very same feelings. Maybe with the grip, even better, but no problem with handling. The button layout is different as well. Also, they are more plasticky on the top, the shutter release button and the rec one, I mean. I like the dials, they feel robust for me. Big question here, this or another EM 5ii... still try try to play around with the camera. (The pancake zoom is not for me...)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    One big annoyance with the EM10II - the battery cord and card doors are so flimsy! the latter is just a piece of rubber; can see it getting lost or broken quickly.

Pretty sure the new touch focus pad can be disabled in the menus; i wanted to use it, but it's too inaccurate.

ECG3 grip is great, I got it for xmas and totally changes the feel of the camera! Tempting to leave it on permanently even when using small lenses, but it does add a bit of weight.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    This is from the E-M10 II manual on the AF Touch Pad:

AF Targeting Pad If [On] is selected, the AF target can be positioned by touching the area on the right side of the monitor during viewfinder photography. Touch the monitor and slide your finger to position the AF target.

• Double-tap the monitor to turn [AF Targeting Pad] on or off.

• [AF Targeting Pad] can also be used with zoom frame AF.

My experience was that even if I turned the AF Targeting Pad to "Off", the double tap on the on the monitor (intentional or not) turned it right back on. Maybe others can chime in and provide a way to disable it permanently without turning the monitor off completely. I didn't have the E-M10 II long enough to figure a way around it.

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is a sideways shift at best and a downgrade in some ways. I'd find a way to make peace with the E-M5 II, which ticks most of your boxes, or just keep rocking the E-M5 "classic"

• Like Like x 1
  17. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Yes, Ive just confirmed with mine that you can't disable it; in the menu just turns it off temporarily until you enable it again with a double tap.

I think it's a bug, AF Targeting Pad [On/Off] really should be AF Targeting Pad Disable [On/Off]

18. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I've had a 3rd party custom grip on my E-M5 for years now and would buy one for E-M10II as well.

Unfortunately it's flip screen or no buy. The original E-M5 is still good enough but at some point I will (have to) make the upgrade. And it won't be to a model with a swivel screen. E-M5II with a flip screen would be perfect. Now all the options are just compromises with each lacking something important. :(

19. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I feel just the same. I suspect the E-M1ii will have a flip screen too and then I won't know what to do. I guess I'll just stick with the E-M1 but that will not be an option in the long term. Flipscreens are driven by video and I don't want a video camera - I want a stills camera.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have to disagree with you here. Other than weather sealing the E-M10 mkII upgrades the E-M5 mkI in many key features:
    Processor
    AF system
    LCD
    EVF
    Max Shutter speed
    WiFi
    Built in flash
    Exposure comp (+/- 5 vs 3)
    Video

• Agree Agree x 3