1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M5 vs Canon 40D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiro, Aug 23, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been a Canon DSLR shooter for a few years, and I've always loved the 40D. Bought an E-M5 about two months ago, and probably have not touched the 40D for six weeks. For some reason I pulled it out of the bag tonight and took some throw away shots in my dimly lit office.

Wow. A camera that I felt was ergonmically almost perfect feels like a big black rock in my hands. Shocked. Snap a shot. Shocked again. That shutter crash sounds almost violent in the quiet night. But it focuses fast and takes sharp pics, with the modest 50/1.8 attached.

So I grabbed my E-M5 to do some modeling duty. Shoot a few in M; a few in A. Not bad, but not great either. Between the slowish shutter speed and trying to expose for the black subject properly I am not getting great shots.

So I turn the tables. Shoot the Canon with the E-M5 + 45/1.8. Wow again. Beautifully sharp shots with the black camera exposed perfectly. We may have something with this E-M5 thing. :2thumbs:

This is hardly a fair comparison. The 40D is many years old at this point, and the 50/1.8 is a $100 lens. But still, I am really surprised that the E-M5 just crushed it by comparison. A rematch is looming in a few weeks, when U8 soccer starts. I plan to shoot them head-to-head. Based on a few shots at practice with the E-M5 I am installing the Canon as a fairly heavy favorite to maintain it's title of "Sports Shooter". The E-M5 did OK, but it just can't track action all that well. I ended up shooting wider than I prefer to keep subjects in frame, and even with that my keeper rate was lower than I'd expect with the 40D.

I am going to remain hopeful about the E-M5 though. I'd love to dump the DSLR rig in it's entirety.

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Looking forward to seeing the results of Round 2, but I suspect that the 40D is a heavy favorite for action photography for a good reason.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm the opposite...I'm forced to use a Canon at work, and the E-M5 beats it in every way including comfort and image quality...and I just did some bif with my E-M5 over the weekend.

4. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I have the same thoughts on action - CDAF in the OM-D (or any other CDAF camera that I know of) just isn't up to the task of tracking action.

I occasionally like to shoot action, though, so the only thing I've tried do to is quickly pre-focus and shoot off shots - or AF-S on the subject quickly and take some shots. It really depends on the type of action.

coming towards the camera, AF-S is useless (on the subject), because by the time it locks, the subject has already moved through the focal plane. But in other less-extreme movements relative to the camera, the AF-S can usually be okay, especially if one can anticipate the action (perhaps stay a bit zoomed out and crop later to see more of the frame).

I was very tempted to keep my Canon 7D and 70-200 just for action, but I shoot it so rarely that really that would have been $2300 in gear just sitting around for no real reason.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll posts some comparison shots of the "showdown". :) 

That would be tough to live with. I've reduced my DSLR kit to 40D, 50/1.8, 55-250, 85/1.8 and 17-70. So maybe half of the value of your 7D and lens. The 55-250 does fall and spring soccer; the 85/1.8 basketall and ice skating. The 50/1.8 is almost not worth selling, and I keep the Sigma 17-70 just in case I want a walk-around lens on the DSLR.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.