1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 Viewfinder: Ultimicron

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Aegon, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I haven't seen anything discussing the ultimicron VF on the new camera, I hope I'm not duping another thread.

Epson provides the part, with details here: ULTIMICRON / Epson Technology / High-Temperature Polysilicon TFTs / Seiko Epson Corp.

From what I gather, it is a "retina"-like display (out resolves human vision), the colors are displayed simultaneously rather than sequentially to reduce breakup, and provides analog drive for smooth gradations.

I'm interested to see how well received the EVF is. I find the GH2 EVF to be adequate for my needs, but I know for certain that many people refuse to use mirrorless cameras due to bad experiences with EVFs, so any improvement here takes another leg out of the DSLR vs. MILC arguments.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It's the same resolution as the VF-1. That hardly outresolves human vision. I think Epson has a new trademark, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Further searching indicates that the VF-2 used Epson's Ultimicron too, so I guess there isn't anything to see here.