1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M5 video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by krugorg, Feb 15, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    A nice walk-through (spanish)... check out the video clips (very brief) at about 4:25. Stabilized video from a bike and the video echo feature.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_fSlKZfywOY?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_fSlKZfywOY?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

• Like Like x 2
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I love the grip...I keep thinking that if they offered the slim part with the 2nd shutter release for $100 it would sell like hotcakes with the camera! I suppose we can all wait for a 20% off email coupon to pick the grip up directly from olympus though. I'm completely sold on this camera at this point, the price point is great too but I generally don't buy right away regardless (my k-5 was an exception, but I still managed to save $220 on it within 2 weeks of release via purchase from a relatively obscure but reputable non-camera website and scoring a $100 rebate card from a local Pentax event in NYC from a pentax forums member).

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    SWEEEET! Dang, I continue to struggle with black vs. silver bodies. Like the silver better, but the black looks better gripped.

4. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Curious if the Battery Holder/Grip actually includes a second battery...

5. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for sharing this!

6. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I would like to know this too. Also, if it will accept standard AA batteries.

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    AH- yes, that's what I want! If I did have the grip- I would probably keep the battery grip part off most instances, and just carry extra batteries with the grip sans battery on the camera.

8. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    Reviewing the Olympus site, I do not think it includes a spare battery. The list features very explicitly says "includes...a compartment for storing an optional additional BLN-1 lithium-ion battery"

As someone that writes a fair amount of marketing copy, that statement above translates to: "includes a hole for a second battery that you will want to buy additionally" :rolleyes:

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    AAs would be nice.

But since Oly is providing contacts for the grip, option, 3rd party grips may be possible!

10. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Seems fair (as far as OEM battery grips go). Here is to hoping 3rd party companies jump on this. And also, those AA batteries come in handy from time to time.

I'd actually prefer just the grip minus the extra shutter button ep-3 style. It would've been cheaper too.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Someone posted this over on 43rumors comments... the art filters might be kinda fun:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/rpzaQLnbUpI?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/rpzaQLnbUpI?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Googlefied-English of blog that produced vid:

http://translate.google.com/transla...8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&prmd=imvns

• Like Like x 1
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Agree with you there too, it is a pretty spendy grip, and those really seem like they could have been two separate and completely viable pieces on their own. Heck, they could've charged more for them separately and they would have done well, $199 for the grip, $129 for the extended shutter piece and I think they both would have had their markets.

That posterized video filter is pretty bad ass! To be able to process that on the fly is impressive, even at the slow frame-rate - it works though (Willing to bet it could be sped up but wouldn't look as interesting between the shown speed and regular frame rates so it was kept at the intentionally slower rate).

13. bongestrella

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Good god, that effect at the beginning and end of the video just looks terrible lol! Fun, sure, but terrible. I much prefer the dramatic tone filter myself :)

I read on another thread that this camera will be released late March, cant wait!

14. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Keep see-sawing back and forth between the silver and black. Even with the different shade of silver compared to the 12mm lens though, I'm liking the retro feel of the silver body.

15. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    My only hesitation on black, which is the way I am leaning, is that the finish could wear more poorly than the silver. Not sure if it is the same, but the E-P3 has more of a powder coat... with scratches, silver is exposed underneath. It looks like the E-M5 is probably different, but I think that pyramid may be a scratch magnet?

16. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I read on dpreview that the more modern coatings on DSLRs (and presumably the E-M5) are much more resistant to scratches. It might not be as big a problem as you think.

That said, my E-P3 has a few scratches and you are right that it seems to be silver/grey below.

• Like Like x 1
  17. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    One of the UK photo mags has pictures showing the silver finish to look a bit speckled and less classy than the black

18. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Will the optical stabiliser work in video mode or turns in digital stabiliser as in P1, P2, P3 cameras?

19. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    I'd buy that for sure. I don't really want the battery grip... just the bigger grip with extra button/dial.

Question, and I know nobody has one and the answer will probably be speculative, but... when the grip is installed, can the new shutter button and dial assume new functions, or will they be forced to redundancy?

• Like Like x 1
  20. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    Toronto
    A preview I read said that fingerprints really mess up the black finish and its striped body covering is more slippery than the pebble grain cover on the silver one. Maybe we should ask for a Tonka Toy Yellow version like the weensy Pentax.
    :rofl: