E-M5 video samples look good

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by M4/3, Apr 3, 2012.

1. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Not mine - I found these on YouTube
    To me they look sharper and more vivid than Canon DSLR videos
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeazsEx_DU4]CAUGHT-01 - OM-D E-M5.f4v - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNA7lH3knU]Olympus OM-D E-M5 1080p HD Video - YouTube[/ame]
  2. TheObiJuan

TheObiJuan Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm glad to see new videos from the E-M5, so thank you.

I am not a fan of the second video's focus hunting. I leave my DSLR on manual focus for a reason. I was impressed with the lack of rolling shutter or jitter when panning.
  3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    Not just that, but on the wider shots, it seems that the E-M5's stabilizer contorts architectural lines.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AgQ7AlbA1w]Olympus OM-D E-M5 - Test-Video | CHIP Online (chip.de) - YouTube[/ame]
  4. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Youtube is terrible with AVCHD re-compression though... No video I've seen on youtube does anywhere near justice what these m43 cams can put out. Vimeo fares a lot better with this, so I'm not sure these are fair quality judges, although they do look good. Slightly dissappointed by the dynamic range though.

Regarding focus hunting, I thought it did pretty well actually, and I've seen some impressive CAF from video on the OM-D. I still almost always use manual focus for video regardless though.

I personally am amazed by IBIS. For video it seems that how effective and non-distorting it is depends a lot on your handling and the focal length. I've seen some wide shots that look fine. I wonder whether switching ibis to horizontal or vertical only might alleviate some of that.

Still, at the end of the day, I don't think anyone can deny this new IBIS is amazing. Will it be as good as a full steadicam rig? No. Will it help make alot of handheld shots looks way better? Heck yea. The first video is particularly exemplary of this, imo. It has a raw handheld feel while not being too jittery.

At the end of the day, IBIS both works better than any image stabilization(digital, in lens, or in body) I've ever seen for stills, and for video, although not perfect, is much more than I hoped for. We can always turn it off if anything =P I also get teh impression the strange distortion going on in some wide angle shots could be remedied with a firmware update. It's particularly noticeable in fast paced walking shots, I assume because the sensor can only reposition itself so far, and sometimes the shake from walking is too wide and fast for the sensor to position itself appropriately. I think actually reducing/smoothing the response time of IBIS for video might help make it less noticeable.
  5. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I tried some video last night walking around outside. The IBIS is superb for general handheld shots, panning and moving the camera around. It's also very good when walking with the camera, although instead of the usual jerkiness seen in handheld videos, you'll get a kind of 'shifting' when the movements of the person holding the camera are too much for the IBIS to counter. I noticed this especially in side-to-side movement. For this reason, I doubt the camera will replace steadicams for beautiful, smooth playback of motion, but it does go a long way to putting smoother video in the hands of consumers.

Now if only every Youtuber who uploads videos had this technology...
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And exposure hunting! However both are not bad for a camera that is mainly a photo camera. But yes for best results when panning use manual settings.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The jerky video is caused by using a photo tripod or hand holding. If the video had been shot using a fluid head it would have been smooth.
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    some of the jerkiness can be attributed to the camera choosing too high a shutter speed - the optimum for smooth motion is a surprisingly low shutter speed of 1/50 or 1/60th a second. This can be hard to achieve even at base ISO of 200 on a sunny day.

you can see this in the first clip with the pigeons