1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M5 Video question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TexChappy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I read one comment that the OM-D E-M5 cuts out video recording after about 15-20 minutes. Anybody run into this?

(perspective buyer that values the video capability)

2. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Hi

I think there is a 30 minute imposed because if it were longer it would be a camcorder and taxed differently.

Berni

3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I'm hoping Olympus releases a new firmware that gives flexible capabilities for video. Shooting manual mode or automatic you'll dislike the lack of exposure control when you have bright/dark areas in the area your shooting the vid.

Once you set the settings your stuck. I was so frustrated with video of the E-m5 (hoping it would have versatile video capabilities) I purchased a Canon HF G10. I really wished it was a great camera for video in dynamic situations.

If your shooting a vid like an interview where the subject does not move and there is good lighting the OMD does a great job in shallow dof vids. If you try to document parts of a kids bday party indoors where exposure may require to change alot the video will flicker bright/dark/bright/dark trying to attempt proper exposure. If you shoot manual and go into a different room you will not be able to change exposure because the camera locks you out in adjustments.

Even my Panasonic LX5 does better in controlling exposure in a vid. Sure it lacks resolution and detail but at least you have acceptable consistent exposure.

4. geraldft

geraldft New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Agreed - this drives me nuts. Hope they fix this...

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's nothing to fix, unless the additional taxes were paid by all first!

It's not a camcorder!

6. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    From the E-M5 manual, Page 55:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.