E-M5 Video question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TexChappy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I read one comment that the OM-D E-M5 cuts out video recording after about 15-20 minutes. Anybody run into this?

(perspective buyer that values the video capability)
  2. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

I think there is a 30 minute imposed because if it were longer it would be a camcorder and taxed differently.

3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I'm hoping Olympus releases a new firmware that gives flexible capabilities for video. Shooting manual mode or automatic you'll dislike the lack of exposure control when you have bright/dark areas in the area your shooting the vid.

Once you set the settings your stuck. I was so frustrated with video of the E-m5 (hoping it would have versatile video capabilities) I purchased a Canon HF G10. I really wished it was a great camera for video in dynamic situations.

If your shooting a vid like an interview where the subject does not move and there is good lighting the OMD does a great job in shallow dof vids. If you try to document parts of a kids bday party indoors where exposure may require to change alot the video will flicker bright/dark/bright/dark trying to attempt proper exposure. If you shoot manual and go into a different room you will not be able to change exposure because the camera locks you out in adjustments.

Even my Panasonic LX5 does better in controlling exposure in a vid. Sure it lacks resolution and detail but at least you have acceptable consistent exposure.
  4. geraldft

geraldft New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Agreed - this drives me nuts. Hope they fix this...
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's nothing to fix, unless the additional taxes were paid by all first!

It's not a camcorder!
  6. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    From the E-M5 manual, Page 55: