e-m5 using different sensor than gx-1 maybe

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by FlyPenFly, Jun 10, 2012.

1. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Interesting test but the em5 might be using a slightly different or customized sensor than the gx1

The em5 files also look a bit more detailed with finer resolution than the gx1 on my iPad 3 screen even at base ISO.

Slightly narrower fov though is not so great for uwa shooters like myself.

Olympus E-M5 vs Panasonic GX1 / G3 RAW noise | Cameralabs

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I thought you post a new finding, but seeing the date and read the article I think I already saw it.

As much as we want to find the proof that EM-5 use new sensor, it doesn't really matter anymore. Even if they don't and the EM-5 sensor actually use the same sensor as GX-1 or even G3. As long as Olympus have a way to maximize the performance and give great result I will be very happy.

My concern is right now is a matter of how Olympus respond and reply of our need for firmware revision to maximize the potential of EM-5.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I don't think Panasonic would give a better sensor to their closest competitor, Olympus, that's better than theirs at the same time frame ..unless it's old technology, like in the previous Pens - you could tell by the Pens always having older, lower iq and lower pixel, "handed-down" technology and sensors than the Panasonics of the same time frame.

This isn't the case currently or anymore, with the OMD..which surpasses ALL of the Pana cameras. Olympus is not using "handed-down" old/obsolete technology from Pana anymore and is using better technology, a new sensor and went to someone else to make their sensor for the OMD obviously..maybe Sony, Nikon, or other. Panasonic was #1 in the m43 game for the while and ever since m43 exsisted... not anymore...Olympus has taken the lead, a big lead..and is about to Lap panasonic ;)

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The sensor is just the hardware, different camera companies get better results from the same sensors. Pentax got better DR and noise control with the K-5 than Nikon did in the D7000 because they have always been able to squeeze every last bit out of their sensors through their own applied software processing. Olympus seems to be on the same level, being able to squeeze every last drop out of their sensors - it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same sensors, but in the end it doesn't really matter, the quality of the image is what matters!