E-M5 - using battery in grip instead of body

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D@ne, Aug 1, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I tested using the one battery I own for my em5 in the grip instead of the body...screen was choppy, autofocus was slower, and ibis seemed to be acting a bit strange. Is it possible that this configuration isn't providing sufficient power to the camera? I found changing the setting within the camera's menus to use the grip's battery before the body's to help slightly, but only slightly.

I can only assume that Olympus' intent was that the grip would hold an additional battery, not hold the sole battery. Am I wrong?

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

You must have a bad connection or the grip itself is bad. I ONLY use my grip battery and have 0 problems.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Doh :(

4. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    No difference in mine. I also put the battery in the grip. Try checking the contacts for dirt. There are several pins on there so I'm guessing the camera would act up if one or two of them aren't making full contact.

5. Plimsol

Plimsol Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Belgium, Antwerp
    quick test

Did also a quick test, with 20 mm, firmware in om-d: 1.2.
    No problems, works like there where two batteries.

Grtz,

p.s. look if the center "pins" are in place. Otherwise the grip-mount is not good.

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Will re-test when I get home. Thanks all.

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    My full grip basically lives on my OMD and I only use 1 battery at a time and that's in the grip. I've not noticed one bit of difference in performance nor battery power draw. I much prefer to use the grip for battery installation and use as well.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I know someone who shoots motorcycle racing, and he uses his battery in the grip only.

A tip...if you do have one in the body and one in the grip, you can select which battery is used first in Menu -> GearK -> Battery Priority.

9. metalbernd

metalbernd Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2012
    Holland
    I have no problem with the battery in the grip, i find it anoying that when use only the grip without the extra battery compartment, you have to screw it off when i want to charge it.

10. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Perhaps you just have a dirty contact between the pins of the grip and the body. It does seem like you aren't getting consistent power, and grit or corrosion would explain that.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam

+1
    Someone on dpreview posted pics from his battery grip contacts corroding, supposedly from leaving the battery in the grip for a couple of weeks.

I'd say check the actually battery compartment anodes/cathodes for corrosion as well if the external contacts seem to be ok.

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Retried the configuration and all is well.

I'm guessing the contacts didn't meet as well as they liked, because there was no corrosion or dirt on anything.