E-M5 Update Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by trwtrw, Feb 16, 2014.

1. trwtrw

trwtrw Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    I just updates my new camera from 1.5 to 2.0 and i seem to have lost my Super Fine JPEG setting. Am I doing something wrong?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Menu -> Gears -> G -> Set (it's on the second page of G). Change F to SF.

But FYI, there's no meaningful difference between Fine and Superfine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trwtrw

trwtrw Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Thanks, that did it. I was a little concerned. I've read about the negligible difference between the two, but I didn't want to lose the option.

Another question, if you don't mind. If I set one to L/SF and one to L/F, should I set the others to Large Pixel Count if I use Normal and Basic, or should I go with Middle and Small?

I'll probably leave things set at RAW+L/F; I've never had a camera that shot in RAW and I want to be able to give it a try. We're leaving for Cambodia and Vietnam in three days and I want to keep my options open.

This is the first serious digital camera I've ever had. I was an old OM-1 and 2 user, with a Minolta in there somewhere, and this is a whole different ballgame; it's both easier and harder.

Thanks for your help.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I'm another owner who never bothered with the superfine JPG settings. I'll use RAW+JPG if I want the top quality. I don't see much need for the small JPG combos. Memory is cheap, in relative terms anyway.

If you are new to RAW and want to use it, then you should pick LF+RAW, Until you get the skills, software and PC power to process RAW files efficiently, you will need those bigger/better JPG's to carry the day. In which case, make sure you bring enough SD cards for your vacation.

One comment about RAW. When I was using Photoshop Elements or Olympus Viewer, it took me lots of effort and afterwards, I rarely got a processed RAW image to be better than an Olympus JPG, unless heavy noise reduction was needed. It was also highly labor intensive. So I rarely used it. After getting Lightroom, which required a PC and OS upgrade, I found RAW processing much simpler, although it took months of learning/practice. The nice thing about RAW for the EM5, is that if you use the art filters in RAW+JPG mode, the RAW image is not touched so you can process that as a normal image later. Also, with Olympus Viewer, you can apply the art filters afterwards to RAW files on your PC.